Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #1 
Critter

Need help with Betta not eating.

I am new to this forum and just joined up for some advice. My friend is moving to Singapore in a couple of months and she is giving me her Betta fish to take care of since she can't take him with her.

She has currently gone over to Singapore just for this one week and gave me the fish to look after for the time, and then later on I will get it permenantly.

I have only ever had previous experience with fish when I was about 7 years old and we had some Goldfish, so needless to say I'm worried about my lack of experience for caring for them.

I have so far had the fish three days of this week and I am worried that he is not eating as much as he should. My friend gave me a packet of tiny little pellets and said just to put about three in each day, but so far, out of all three days I have only seen him eat one.

He seems to put the food in his mouth, then spit it out again and swim away. Is this normal or should I be worried that he isn't eating enough?

Like I said I don't have much experience in this field, but I want to do my best to care for my friends pet while she can't be with him so any advice at all is very appreciated.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. He may just be going through a period of adjustment. What size tank is he in?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #3 
Critter

I don't know exactly but it is a small tank. About the size of a large toaster.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....
A few question....
How much and how often are the water changes, do you have filter in the toaster size tank, and what is the water temp and any additives used like dechlorinator...
Are you removing the uneaten food?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #5 
Critter

Thanks for the welcome Oldfishlady.

As I said in the first post I am only having the fish for this one week currently, and then I will get it permenantly in a month or so so at the moment it hasn't had a water change, just the one when we first put him in the tank.

The tank does not have a filter in it, it is just a small glass tank. When I get him for good though I am going to get a larger tank with a filter to keep him in.

I am unsure what the exact water temp is, but the house is never too cold (it's winter here right now) as we have central heating.

The only additive to the water is something called 'Betta Water Conditioner' that my friend added before she left.

I have been removing the uneaten food (how long am I supposed to wait before I do this?)

I tried feeding him again thismorning but he once again put the food in his mouth, then spat it out again. It's been 4 days of him spitting it out again and I am worried.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 
fishyflipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I am new to this forum and just joined up for some advice. My friend is moving to Singapore in a couple of months and she is giving me her Betta fish to take care of since she can't take him with her.

She has currently gone over to Singapore just for this one week and gave me the fish to look after for the time, and then later on I will get it permenantly.

I have only ever had previous experience with fish when I was about 7 years old and we had some Goldfish, so needless to say I'm worried about my lack of experience for caring for them.

I have so far had the fish three days of this week and I am worried that he is not eating as much as he should. My friend gave me a packet of tiny little pellets and said just to put about three in each day, but so far, out of all three days I have only seen him eat one.

He seems to put the food in his mouth, then spit it out again and swim away. Is this normal or should I be worried that he isn't eating enough?

Like I said I don't have much experience in this field, but I want to do my best to care for my friends pet while she can't be with him so any advice at all is very appreciated.
Im sorry your in such distress I got a Betta Fish For my 13th Birthday and it won't STOP eating! :D
Try Blood Worms or Flakey Food!!!! When You don't look your fish will be eating i no time at all!!! Look at my post on feeding!!!
fishyflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #7 
fishyflipper

Oldfishlady... You should change the water once a week!!!! Also You will want to keep about a cup of the old water in the new tank so he dosen't go into shock!!!
fishyflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I know you are only going to have this fish for a short time, however, water quality and water temp are a big issue and both can affect appetite.
And uneaten food left in the tank can quickly rot and foul the water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Oldfishlady.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #10 
Critter

I have been removing the food pretty much straight away if he doesn't eat it (after watching for a while to see if he does). He is still just eating the food then spitting it out again. Last night he even ate some food, spat it out, ate it again, then spat it out again. It's been about 5 days, I really wish he would just stop spitting it out!