Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #1 
kpullen89

Unhappy 10g filter freaks my fish out..

I just bought a filter for my ten gallon that is separated once and holds two of my boys(Rousseau & Senor Fiesta). The filter is for 10-20 gallons and after I set it up it really seemed to stress my fish out. The current is strong and pushes the fish around a bit when they swim near it.

I almost had a heart attack when I noticed the pump's rod almost sucked up a part of Rousseau's tail! With such a long flow-y tail, I'm worried his could get ruined, or he could be injured. I tried the filter on both sides of their dividers to see if one fish dealt better than the other.. but the stress was very obvious for both of them.

Right now I have removed it because it stresses me out too--Senor Fiesta even tried to swim into the filter, flaring at it the whole time. So here are my official questions:
Anyone else have these types of issues?
Will they get used to the filter?
Does the divider obstruct the job the filter is trying to do? (Its made out of mesh and report ends..and the current seems to be stopped by it)

Let me know what I should do, thanks for the advice in advance. :)
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 
RandomFish

The options I could think of are:

1.) Using another divider, create a small narrow section between the two fish, just for the filter (and heater).

2.) Switch to another filter...maybe a sponge filter.

3.) Go filterless and use a turkey baster to clean waste from the bottom. This is what I opted for. Currently I'm working towards having Walstad low-tech "el Natural" style tanks which will have plants filtering the fish waste. Fish are so much happier with real plants anyway.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #3 
kpullen89

I really like option 3..because that's what I've been doing until this point. I just thought they'd be happier with a filter and it might keep things pristine. The Walstad idea sounds interesting, I'm going to look into it. I believe real plants are better as well.
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote