Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #1 
ohitsjax

Exclamation What's wrong with Bruce???

When I first got Bruce a couple months ago he was a healthy beautiful fish. But recently his tail has seemed choppy. It was once full and big, now it's just slimmed down and looks torn in a way and I don't know what to do. I'm a new owner and have never had a fish. Is he sick? Can I fix it? What do I do?
ohitsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...... have a few question so we can help...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, when was the last one? additives used, filter, live plants, water temp?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #3 
ohitsjax

I change the water once every week and a half or so. The next change is tonight. There are two fake plants in the fish bowl. It's just a really big bowl. It's standard room temp and no filter. I got everything in the bowl from petco. (the same place I got him) I even use the water conditioner like the lady told me to.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #4 
metalbetta

W/out a filter you're going to want to up your water changes BIGTIME. OFL will probably give you specifics.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #5 
ohitsjax

So then how often should I change it? Is it the water that's affecting his tail?
Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

In the size bowl and it is most likely 1-2 gallons..just guessing here....
But yes, it sounds like a water quality issue by just your water change schedule and that is an easy fix

To treat the tail problem now and to help encourage re-growth and prevent a secondary infection-I would start by making 100% daily water changes for the next 7 days then........regular scheduled water changes of-
Unfiltered, 1-2g or even 3g....Regular water changes of 50% 1-2 times a week and 1-100% water change a week-totaling 2-3 a week water changes to keep the water quality high enough to help prevent health and fin issues.

Always use the dechlorinator with any new water added to the tank/fish if you are on city water supply and keep the water temp within a couple of degree from new and old water to prevent any water temp related problems.

The plants-if they are plastic you may want to remove them due to the roughness-they can be part of the problem by snagging and ripping his delicate fins....... silk or live plants are often better to use with this species of fish.

Water temp can also be an issue and unless you live in a warm climate area you may need to invest in a heater and thermometer to keep a stable water temp in the 78-80F area

If the tail starts to get worse or behavior changes you may need to start a treatment-I use a natural treatment with Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.

Would love to see pic of your Betta and your set-up....
And welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-12-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #7 
ohitsjax

Thank you so much for the advice. I will start cleaning his bowl right away as soon as the water gets to temp. It is a 2 gal bowl and that is what i normally put in it. I will let you know how he is doing in a week or so and I have a picture on here somewhere but if I can't find it I'll just take another picture :)