Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #1 
newfishmom

My Dilemma With Feeding the otos.....

It's like the bettas are going for some drug or something! The otos....could care less. The otos bellies are nice and round so I think they are getting plenty to eat but still feel like I should drop a algea wafer in once in a while. The same thing happens with Zucchini and cucumbers, the bettas attack it. How do you feed the otos without the bettas ripping into it?
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Try feeding them an hour after lights out and try to keep the room as dark as you can after feeding the ottos.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #3 
stardust

Ha ha, I have the same problem. Lightning McQueen, Mr. VT, is wacko for anything I give the ottos. He lies on the algae tablet until is softens up and then he guards it, rolls in it, and tries to eat it. He never goes after the ottos when they push their way in. He just likes their food. He also goes for the veggies when I offer them.

I give the ottos half a tablet more often to help solve the problem of mess and waste. I feed them at night, too.
stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #4 
Welsh

My females are the same, I have tried feeding my pleco after lights out and still they get there first lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #5 
stardust

It's good to know they survive this. I was worried when I had started my own thread a few days back because of the pea vs. no pea belief. I fasted McQueen yesterday after his pigging out the day before. He seems totally okay and was really glad to get his food this morning.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #6 
stardust

Doing an experiment. I have put a clear 6 oz. glass over the algae tablet in the bottom of the tank. Part of the rim of the glass is supported on two rocks with just enough room for the ottos to go it a and not McQueen. I am going to see how this works. I am keeping an eye on it just in case piglet tries to get in there. Right now he's guarding from the far side of the opening and eyeing the tablet.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #7 
newfishmom

Stardust - Keep me posted how the glass works out for you. I have thought about doing something like that too but right now the otos don't seem very intrested in the algae or the veggies. Maybe if the BETTAS would stay out of the way it might be different!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #8 
stardust

Newfishmom, it worked like a charm. It kept McQueen away from the algae pellet and the ottos could go in and eat. It contains the mess, too. :) I'll take the glass out late this evening and let him roll around in any crumbs since I vacuum and change the water tomorrow. Be prepared to see you fish pining away over the food they can see and smell, but not get to. I swear you'd think McQueen's long, lost love was under that glass. lol
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #9 
newfishmom

Thanks for the update Stardust. Now I've got to find me something for 3 tanks, big enough for the otos, to small for the bettas to get stuck into, and something that the bettas can't shove around.