Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #1 
Ajones108

Betta Possibly Sick

So yesterday this betta that I have had for a week now was zipping around the tank REALLY fast and being jumpy while swimming. I didn't see it as a big deal because he's finally stopped corner surfing. I still need to do his 100% water change but the water has been clear so I was trying to prolong it a little.

When I was laying in bed this morning and watching the tank, the fish seemed to be just chilling at the bottom, rushing up for air, then going back down to the bottom. Which I hear isn't good behavior. SO, I got out of bed and came over to the desk to check him out and he got a little more active, hanging out around the middle of the tank and all...

But he seems like he's feeling under the weather. He hasn't bee flaring all that much and he only moves to get air. He wasn't even moving that much when he was in the middle of the tank. I noticed one time he went up for air, after he got air he went back underwater and opened his mouth up really wide a second before going back to stationary position. Ive never seen him do this before.

No change in fin color, no parasites, no real injuries except for the scratch he had yesterday and it doesn't look any worse. The top of his head COULD be getting darker but that could just be me paranoid...

Just do a 100% water change and hope for the best? He's lived a week with me, I don't want him to die. D: His new heater and plants come in soon, dying is not an option!
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

Yes, do a water change ASAP! CLEAR water is NOT an indication of CLEAN water - you can't SEE ammonia!!!!

How long has it been since you changed his water?

Hope he feels better after a water change.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #3 
Ajones108

He's had two 50% water changes. I'll get to that 100% water change now. :) Hoping I can cup him with his sporadic runs to the top.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #4 
Lion Mom

Yes, I know about the two 50% water changes, but how many days ago was the last one?

And I forget - is the tank filtered?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #5 
Ajones108

No, its not filtered. It's only a 2.5 gal tank, I wish I could cycle it and have a small filter but its too small. And the last 50% water change was probably a fair bit ago, I should have done this change sooner but I'm having a few issues and it got put off. I think he'll be just fine after the water change.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

I believe you CAN filter that tank. Look at this:

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c225/D...ter-p8779.html

OR you can get a small internal filter.

You will still have to do water changes, of course, but once the good bacteria is built up things will go much easier.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #7 
Ajones108

Yeah of course. And WHOOT, finally got his little stubborn butt in the cup! He saw me coming with the cup and got REALLY spazzy! He's in his store cup now with 50% clean water 50% his water and that'll be going in the 100% clean water tank.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #8 
Ajones108

Got the clean water in the tank and putting the heater back in. It's pretty much already 80 degrees but just in case since the room is cold. It won't get hotter than 80 due to the type of heater. Gonna float his cup now. Already treated the water and put a little bit of fish protector in to help him get past this trauma >_>
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #9 
Ajones108

I'm concerned, Lion Mom. This water isn't heating up fast enough for me to add him. Its staying at about 77 degrees and he's in his cup. I saw him do the mouth thing again in a second ago. He's not doing it very often but he seems bothered. His gills are moving normally, he's not turning pale, but his fins do seem slightly clamped when he's just floating there in his cup. Do you think the water in his cup is bothering him because of the 50% old water? I can't add him into the big tank yet, its too cold.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Hmmmm...... well, the cup water is also 77 since it is floating in the tank, right? I would go ahead & acclimate him to the new water & put him in.

What "fish protector" stuff? The only thing you need is a good dechlorinater like Prime (the best, IMO, and you use only 2 drops per gallon so economical).