Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #11 
Ajones108

The protector is a new product by kordon, the makers of amquel and novaqua. It is said to help with fish stress and help prevent bacterial infections. I'm just using it as a precaution for now to help him along with my blunders. His new heater should come in some time this week. I just have to keep myself sane until then. I will be back at my dorm soon to check on his condition. I think he was bothered by the water a bit because he was still eating with gusto earlier so I will update you shortly. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #12 
Adastra

If you age your water prior to water changes and need to heat it to match the temperature of the old water, you can simply microwave it. You'll quickly learn just how long it takes to heat the water just enough--remember to stir the water before measuring it with a thermometer when you take the water out of the microwave because all of the warm water will be at the top and the cold at the bottom.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #13 
Ajones108

Fish is doing fine it seems, he's still diving for his bloodworms. When I got in the room and went over to the tank I couldn't find him, then he came out of his little cave and seemed happy. But I noticed that in that instant his gills were overextended or looked stretched out further like he was taking in more "water" or inhaling deeper, whatever fishes do. But he only did it once and after that he was zipping around all happy like. Once I saw he was okay and eating I came back out to the common area to chill with a friend but I'm still worried about the little fish, and probably will be until his silk plants and new heater come in.

Adastra, I was thinking about just heating the water, but there was one problem with that: If the heater can't keep the water warm, then the water temperature would just drop again. So until I can get the new heater I thought it would be safer to keep him at a stable 77-78 degrees instead of fluctuating from 80 to 77.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #14 
Lion Mom

I agree a stable 77 - 78 is better than wild fluctuations.

Sounds like he is doing well with the water change. :)

Maybe he was flaring at you?

Any thoughts on getting him a small filter?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #15 
Ajones108

I've never seen his gills do that before. o_o He could just be "breathing" the nice, clean water. :)

A filter... It might be better off in the long run with a small filter like that, but then I would have to cycle the tank wouldn't I? It seems like a lot more work with the filter, I thought I read somewhere that you really had to pay attention to the levels of things in the water. It seems complicated.

Once I feel safe that mister fishy is gonna be A-OK then I'll think about getting a filter, I'm just worried that it might be too much for him or startle him again. x.X I still have a fair bit of money but I'm waiting to see if I'm going to need it to get anywhere after school break. A filter might be OK once I know that things are gonna be fine. :)
Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #16 
Lion Mom

It isn't complicated at all. I have done fish in cycles without any problems. You just have to keep up your water changes - you just don't change out your filter pads.

Somewhere around here Oldfishlady explained it step by step.

In any event, I'm glad he is feeling better. Let that be a lesson to ya - do NOT put off your water changes!!! :)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #17 
Ajones108

Yeah I'm still learning. ;-; You guys got years and years of this under your belts, I'm just a newbie. I'm gonna be in here every day like "IS THIS NORMAL?!"

Actually, in the other thread I posted something. On Monday he was zipping around the tank like mad and really jumpy. He stopped corner surfing so I was pretty happy, but today he got lethargic and I think it WAS the water quality getting to him. I noticed how dirty it was when I dumped it in the sink. Eugh. So sorry, little fish.

But is it normal for a betta to be zipping around like that? Is that why they have to have smooth decorations and stuff?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #18 
Lion Mom

What is "normal" for one fish may not be for another - kinda like people. :)

Is he flicking off ornaments? Or just swimming around? Some are just more active than others.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #19 
Ajones108

He's just swimming around like crazy. I was just worried that maybe he was frantic or something. Yeah, I can understand how personalities might be different just like people, but was wondering if you ever heard of it happening. Once it becomes "normal" behavior then I'll be okay. Ha ha.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #20 
Lion Mom

Maybe he is bored & wants more room? I don't know - just guessing. Or maybe he is just an energetic betta!