Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #1 
Yuuki

Setting up a new tank. Opinions on sponge filters?

I'm planning to set up a cycled, 5 gallon tank for a new betta. Sushi's tank was never cycled, so this is a new thing for me, but I have done my research. I'm going to do a fishless cycle with fish food flakes because I can't find any pure ammonia in my area. I'm going to start it up tomorrow.

So, sponge filters.... what's everyone's opinion on this type of filtration?

I'm planning on using a sponge filter attached to a small air pump. It seems like the best, most gentle option for a betta. Honestly, it's about my only option; because I can't use HOB filters due to how my tank is made. I have the Eclipse Corner 5 gallon.

Anyone use sponge filters?
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

I use sponge filter's, I have ran my 55 gallon off 2 sponge filter's. And my buddy own's a small pet store and he run's every tank off of sponge. Angle fish, catfish, snail's, afican dwarf frog's, clown loache's, ect..

Anyway i have ran my 55 off of 2 hydro IV sponge filter's for 6 month's untill i got a 110 aquaclear.

I love sponge fliter's, Because you never have to spend money like on replacment filter's for the other type filter's. With a sponge filter you just rinse it out in a bowl of water from your aquarium when your doing a change or whatever do not rinse with sink water you will kill the good bacteria. And a sponge filter trap's smaller stuff then most other type filter that just have that cheap replacment filter insert. Plus if you get the valve that adjust the air flow. That mean's you can adjust the water flow.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #3 
NIB BETTA

I swear by sponge filters, especially for Halfmoons. They are very gentle, and do a good job of cleaning. If you have a heavily finned betta, a sponge filter is the best way to go.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I have used sponge filters in the past & they do a very good job. My only problem with them is I can't find a "silent" air pump to run them to save my soul - no matter WHAT the maker of the pump claims!!!

I NEVER buy cartridges for my power filters. I ONLY use AquClear sponges in them and have done it that way for YEARS!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #5 
Sarada

I have one in each of my 5 gallons and much prefer it to any other filter BUT my betta has not blown a nest since I put it in. My pumps are quiet but one bounces around a lot as it doesnt have rubber feet like the second one I bought.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #6 
Sarada

But my new 20 gallon is housing females and came with a power filter so I am going to try to use it.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #7 
NIB BETTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
I have one in each of my 5 gallons and much prefer it to any other filter BUT my betta has not blown a nest since I put it in. My pumps are quiet but one bounces around a lot as it doesnt have rubber feet like the second one I bought.
Try using a mouse pad. I have a couple of my air pumps placed on mouse pads and it helps with the sound and movement from vibration.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #8 
Sarada

Thanks, great idea, I am currently using a tea towel but a mouse pad would work better.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #9 
Yuuki

So I'm back from the store with all of my fish stuff.

I did settle on the sponge filter, and I bought a Tetra Whisper air pump. It's quiet enough for me, in fact... the bubbles are louder than the pump. I am thinking of getting a half-moon or delta tail, so this probably is the best option for me. :)

(Actually, I spotted a beautiful half-moon double tailed betta today! I'm sad that my tank is nowhere near ready. D:)
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #10 
Sarada

You coulda got it and kept it in a little bowl until your tank is ready, that's where it is currently now anyways.