Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

So stupid :[

Agh! My parents are letting my sister get ANOTHER betta when she all ready has 4 goldfish and a betta which she doesn't take care of! I have to take care of them all because She never remembers to feed them or clean out their tanks! :[ I'm sick of takeing care of her pets and I would stop but then they would have to suffer! What do you guys think I should say to my parents? Cause I just know she won't take care of this betta either! :[
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 
AquaWarrior

create an ultimatum with your folks

My Betta

AquaWarrior- Turquoise Male HM Betta
AquaWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

An ultimatum will just make them mad.

Just explain that you are frustrated that you are the one that takes care of her pets and you think that she should focus on caring for the pets she has instead of her getting another fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #4 
AquaWarrior

bring all the main pionts of the difference between your fish keeping and your sisters fishkeeping

My Betta

AquaWarrior- Turquoise Mle HM Betta
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #5 
Alexanderismylife

Thanks..I talked to my parents and I told them that she shouldn't get another fish or pet because I'm the one who has to take care of them all and My parents pretty much said that It's her job to take care of them and if she pays for them it's her decision on how she cares for them! Then they said if I was so upset about haveing to take care of them all to just stop! Then I said what am I suppose to do just let them die?!? This is all so frustrating! Sorry about the rant..
Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #6 
AquaWarrior

anytime friend anytime

My Betta

AquaWarrior- Turquoise Male HM

Last edited by AquaWarrior; 07-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #7 
RandomFish

Point out to your parents that they are not teaching her responsibility; rather, the opposite. She gets to have fun spending $2 (wow, that amount must've taken so long to save up </sarcasm> ) and not following up on the ensuing responsibility.

And if they act like they just want to shut you up, give them all the silent treatment/cold shoulder since that's what they're asking for anyway. It's very insensitive on their part to disregard how this is all affecting you emotionally, no matter how busy your parents may be.

Gosh, if their logic was accepted and applied on a larger scale, a man would be allowed to abuse his mail-order bride just because he paid her way.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #8 
Alexanderismylife

Thank you! I don't understand why they don't get any of this! My mom has finally said that she can't have another fish until she prooves she autually takes care of the one she has! My dad on the other hand is trying to fight it and saying it's her choice! Hopefully My sister learns something from me lectureing her and learns how to take care of a betta so I don't have to take care of hers too! Thank you all so much! :]
Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #9 
JKfish

I know this might sound harsh, but if she does end up getting a new fish, you might want to force yourself to stop caring for the fish for about two weeks. During those two weeks, if she doesn't start caring for her fish, lecture her even more, and if needed, type of "fish care sheets" and leave them around the house, taped around places she spends most of her time. Your reminders, and her fish getting hungry might be enough to get her to start caring for her fish. After that, you could pitch in a bit, and hope she'll eventually form a good habit of fish care. :) (My mom did something along the lines of this for me when I was younger, and had "caring" for a hamster.- it worked with me...)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #10 
Alexanderismylife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I know this might sound harsh, but if she does end up getting a new fish, you might want to force yourself to stop caring for the fish for about two weeks. During those two weeks, if she doesn't start caring for her fish, lecture her even more, and if needed, type of "fish care sheets" and leave them around the house, taped around places she spends most of her time. Your reminders, and her fish getting hungry might be enough to get her to start caring for her fish. After that, you could pitch in a bit, and hope she'll eventually form a good habit of fish care. :) (My mom did something along the lines of this for me when I was younger, and had "caring" for a hamster.- it worked with me...)
That sounds like a good idea but I don't think I would be able to :[ I will for sure give it a try! She's the same age as me so you would think she would learn how to take care of her pets by now...:[ I'm going to make a extra effort to make sure she's takeing care of them! I really hope this works out well!