Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #11 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2space View Post
Thanks for the info. I change the filter every two weeks, and when I change water I am vacuuming the gravel. I had jsut done a 40-50% WC a day or two before he started getting bad :( However, I don't really see it pick up much off the bottom... none of the gravel filters I have used seem to pick up much, does anyone have a recommendation for a good gravel cleaner as well?
At Petsmart they have the Marina easy clean for 12.99$ I just bought it and did my weekly WC and it works AMAZINGLY well. As the water is syphoning it takes out the gunk and yucky stuff with it. My betta even likes to swim around it while I'm vacuuming (I have a curious little fishy on my hands though ;) )
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #12 
XSprinkleFaceX

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....641#post423641<-- theres the link btw. :D
Old 07-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

If you are changing the filter media out every two week you may be causing a mini-cycle of sorts that can be hard on the fish.
Why are you changing the filter media so much?
Also the bottled water can sometimes be missing the needed minerals the fish needs from the filtering process and will need to be replaced, by using 50/50 mix of bottled and tap would work along with the dechlorinator...what is wrong with your tap water? if it is just hard water issues-most fish will adapt and be fine..

When you vacuum-how far is the tank from the bucket, if less than a couple of feet-you may not have enough gravity distance to get good suction and also the diameter of the tube itself can make a difference.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #14 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you are changing the filter media out every two week you may be causing a mini-cycle of sorts that can be hard on the fish.
Why are you changing the filter media so much?
Also the bottled water can sometimes be missing the needed minerals the fish needs from the filtering process and will need to be replaced, by using 50/50 mix of bottled and tap would work along with the dechlorinator...what is wrong with your tap water? if it is just hard water issues-most fish will adapt and be fine..

When you vacuum-how far is the tank from the bucket, if less than a couple of feet-you may not have enough gravity distance to get good suction and also the diameter of the tube itself can make a difference.
I wasn't changing it as often, but it was running very slowly.

Our tap is ridiculously hard, to the point of if you turn on a sprinkler, it will coat a car so badly it will not come off even through the wash. It is BAD stuff.
n2space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #15 
n2space

Thanks eveyrone for your help, but unfortunately I came home to find Lightning had passed I'm so upset... everytime I have had a fish get sick, they never come back. I've had two others pass on me too. I feel so bad
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #16 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
everytime I click that link it brings me back to this post
Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #17 
XSprinkleFaceX

GAHH one second.
Sorry to hear about your fish. He's in the big bowl in the sky now. :(
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...4084&lmdn=Fish
It shows 15.99 but that's for the medium. Yesterday they had the small for 12.99$
Old 07-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Thats too bad, sorry about your Betta, sometimes these things happen and all you can do is your best and IMO that is what you are doing by asking for help.
I hope you don't give up on fish keeping......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #19 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
GAHH one second.
Sorry to hear about your fish. He's in the big bowl in the sky now. :(
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...4084&lmdn=Fish
It shows 15.99 but that's for the medium. Yesterday they had the small for 12.99$
Thanks.

This is the one I have now;

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755281

Thanks for the condolences, I miss him already, I was very attached to him
Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #20 
n2space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Thats too bad, sorry about your Betta, sometimes these things happen and all you can do is your best and IMO that is what you are doing by asking for help.
I hope you don't give up on fish keeping......
Thanks, I appreciate it. I won't give up, I actually have two identical tanks, so Lightning leaves behind a "brother", Rainy I've had 5 bettas (including Lighnting and Rainy), I'm sure after some greiving time, I'll get another one