Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #1 
jjracersandiego

Question I cant tell if my Betta is a Female or male? so i can breed

I have been keeping my two bettas in the same tank(female in clear small cup in tank, and male in tank) for 3 weeks and i am not shure if my betta in the sup is a male or female? i understand that females have shorter fins n stuff but i am really not shure bcause it has the beard fin under its mouth and the male built a nest already. i am scared that if i put the one is the cup in, that it might be a male D: . i am posting a pic but its a little blurry (sorry) and make shure u see the fins length under him/her. Please get back to me and have a nice day .
Attached Images

jjracersandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #2 
jjracersandiego

sorry i ment cup*
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

It looks like a female to me. The tail looks pretty beat up on this fish. Any idea why? Breeding bettas is a huge undertaking, what with all the large amounts of fry that must be kept seperately. Do you really think it's something you want to do? I know that doing it wouldn't be something attractive for me, yikes!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Usually, if it has a white spot on it's belly (called an ovipositor) then it's a female. I can't really tell what it is from the picture.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #5 
jjracersandiego

@aunt kymmie i got it a petco like that. so i dont know how it happend :(
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #6 
jjracersandiego

@dramaqueen if u dont mind by showing a pic of one that has a white spot? that would be great, thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #7 
CodeRed

Hmmm. I kinda think male with some seriously bad fin rot. The anal fin is really far back, and the body shape looks "male" to me. But... I don't think it's a very good idea to breed any fish that's in the bad of shape.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

That is a male. Plus he is not healthy enough to breed. Breeding takes a lot out of the fish and even the healthiest of fish can die as a result of a lowered immune system. Believe me, I just lost an award winning male to a disease that should have been easily treated. If he is a plakat he is seriously clamped. I can't even see pectoral fins. His fins are almost gone entirely. He needs serious medical intervention. Daily water changes and heat plus at this point I would go straight to an anti-fungal medication like Jungle Fungus Clear.

Judging by the picture the tank you have the fish in is not big enough for spawning. You want AT LEAST a 5 gallon tank, 10 gallons or larger is preferred for many reasons from water changes to space, etc.

If your going to breed you need to do a lot of research. There is a lot more than just putting two fish together. If you do that you might wind up with one or two dead fish. I would start by reading the sticky at the top of the breeding forum. After that check out www.bettysplendens.com and read all her articles on breeding and raising fry. After that you will have a better idea of whether or not you want to breed.

Also why did you have the "female" in a cup for three weeks? That would have required daily water changes (IMO two daily water changes) not to mention it would be extremely stressful on the fish not to have a way to escape and hide from the other fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #9 
FloridaBettas239

Also if you cant tell if a fish is a male or female you dont need to be breeding. Not being mean just saying you havent been doing much research on bettas and bettas breeding. And dont no much about them, You cant even tell if it's a male or female... And it look's like you have just stuck that fish with your other fish and he got ate up. And now your asking how to breed. Thats just what it seem's like to me.....
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

Here is a female with the white dot. LOL..... Ovipositor tube!!!

FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breed, female, male