Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #11 
Learn To Fly

I agree with 1f2f and CR-that is a male with terrible fin rot. Fin rot CAN and does lead to a more advanced stage-body rot. If you don't do something soon, your fish is going to die. It's not fit for breeding and you will only kill it.

I also agree with FloridaBettas-if you can't tell your betta's gender your shouldn't be breeding. If you know "enough" (IMO) about breeding, which means lots and lots of research, you should be able to tell if your betta is a male or female.

Also adding aquarium salt (NOT table salt or salt for saltwater tanks, but freshwater aquarium salt) will help in addition to what 1f2f said.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #12 
mollyyymo

This is one of the saddest things I've seen on this forum.

DO NOT breed this fish, he is very sick and needs immediate care. Fish with fin rot suffer immensely and it is your responsibility as a pet owner to bring him back to health, not to breed fry that you wouldn't be able to take care of.

Before you breed bettas, you need to be able to spot diseases like this. You should also definitely be able to tell whether a fish is male or female...
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #13 
Fermin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjracersandiego View Post
I have been keeping my two bettas in the same tank(female in clear small cup in tank, and male in tank) for 3 weeks and i am not shure if my betta in the sup is a male or female? i understand that females have shorter fins n stuff but i am really not shure bcause it has the beard fin under its mouth and the male built a nest already. i am scared that if i put the one is the cup in, that it might be a male D: . i am posting a pic but its a little blurry (sorry) and make shure u see the fins length under him/her. Please get back to me and have a nice day .
Oh my. According to your own profile, you're 14 years old. Are your parents involved in your fish care? Do they know you're trying to breed your fish?

Your fish needs medical attention ASAP. Anything less would be neglect. If you are unable/unwilling to help your fish, please show your parents this thread/forum so that they can take over the care and wellbeing of your fish and learn the next steps to helping your fish heal.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #14 
Underthesea

He said he got the fish at a pet store, and the fish's fins have been like that.. I don't think I'd believe that.. cause when you buy a fish, you check to see if it has any problems.. why would anyone want to buy a fish that has torn/rotten fins?? It doesn't make sense.. In my opinion, that fish got his tails ripped off by being with another male.. Sorry.. that's what Im seeing.
That's why he doesn't know how to tell Female from Male..
Underthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #15 
Adastra

Not everyone is well-educated enough to be able to tell a sick fish from a healthy one. It's possible he bought the fish like this, and it's extremely likely this one has simply been very ill-treated, if the fish had received proper care it would have had some regrowth by now.

Either way the question of whether the fish is male or female is a moot point. jjracersandiego should be learning about basic fish care rather than attempting to breed fish. Please research betta care and keep these two separate--attempting to breed bettas before you know what you're doing is only going to lead to grief.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Adastra.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #17 
Campbell

This member hasn't posted again... I kind of doubt this fish is still alive.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #18 
FloridaBettas239

He is scared to post again, Im guessing. Because he posted this thread and got ate up by shark's. So he is most likly scared.. He is just a kid, he posted that. And all us betta lovers were in shock & awe.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #19 
Campbell

I agree that he probably didn't expect such a response.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #20 
1fish2fish

Well I for one hope he comes back. His profile says he's young and this is the problem I have with letting kids on the net. Some don't understand that we can't tell your age by your username and we are going to speak as if we are speaking to an adult.

I don't believe anyone said anything that was overly hurtful or mean but I can understand how someone would feel slighted by an onslaught of posts like these. But just come back and learn.. that's the whole point and the reason everyone takes the time to write a response.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breed, female, male