Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #1 
FloridaBettas239

3 Day Old Fry (Pictures)

So the male in my avatar and one of my female's just spawned. And the fry are 3 days old now. I just got a chance to take some pic's. See if there not to blury.

Daddy taking care of his babies.....

He is swimming threw the plant's getting all the fry to take back home..

I will post more later...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #2 
JamieTron

ohhh congrats on the new babies
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #3 
vaygirl

Congrats. :D They're so tiny!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 
Alexanderismylife

Congrats!! They are very tiny :] I can't wait to see how they turn out!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Congrats.....and great shots....what kind of camera are you using and settings, I can never get good pic like that of my fry or fish and tanks for that matter....laffs....

Fry look great too btw...what kind of feeding schedule and type of fry food have you found to work best.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

I just use my girl's pink camera. Its like 7 pix. I just feed egg yolk for a week then baby brine shrimp for week's and week's..
Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #7 
Underthesea

Hey... do you feed the male (father) anything? Or is he fasting?

Also, do you change the water? Im assuming the egg yolks will make the water very dirty.
Underthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

I feed the father every A.M and P.M, Frozen brine shrimp an Frozen blood worm's. When i open the lid i make him come to me away from the babies, And then he will eat. When he is done he goes back to his daddy duties.

I don't do any water change's for 3 to 4 week's. This is because you dont feed them so much egg yolk that it foul's the water. It's just like you dont feed your adult bettas so much it foul's the water. The next reason i dont have to do any change's for them 3 or 4 week's. Because i only feed the egg yolk for a week. And then it's baby brine shrimp. Also when i breed my 10 gallon is less then half full. Because it's easier for the father to keep the egg's in the nest. Its less work, He just goes a little down and then a little up to pick them up and put them in the nest. Another thing with the tank being less than half full that give's me 5 gallon's to keep adding to the tank without having to do water change's. When i have fed with egg yolk for a week or the fry are a week old i will add a gallon. A week later i will add a gallon i can do this for 5 week's untill the tank is full if i want without doing a water change. And risk sucking up fry or just shocking them with new water. This way i do it... your just slowly adding water. There's no stress on the fish. It just seem's to work good for everyone, the dad having low water, Its good for the fry having water added slowly, And easier on me because i just have to walk in there once a week and add water.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #9 
Underthesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I feed the father every A.M and P.M, Frozen brine shrimp an Frozen blood worm's. When i open the lid i make him come to me away from the babies, And then he will eat. When he is done he goes back to his daddy duties.

I don't do any water change's for 3 to 4 week's. This is because you dont feed them so much egg yolk that it foul's the water. It's just like you dont feed your adult bettas so much it foul's the water. The next reason i dont have to do any change's for them 3 or 4 week's. Because i only feed the egg yolk for a week. And then it's baby brine shrimp. Also when i breed my 10 gallon is less then half full. Because it's easier for the father to keep the egg's in the nest. Its less work, He just goes a little down and then a little up to pick them up and put them in the nest. Another thing with the tank being less than half full that give's me 5 gallon's to keep adding to the tank without having to do water change's. When i have fed with egg yolk for a week or the fry are a week old i will add a gallon. A week later i will add a gallon i can do this for 5 week's untill the tank is full if i want without doing a water change. And risk sucking up fry or just shocking them with new water. This way i do it... your just slowly adding water. There's no stress on the fish. It just seem's to work good for everyone, the dad having low water, Its good for the fry having water added slowly, And easier on me because i just have to walk in there once a week and add water.
Awesome suggestions on the 'Adding water' solution.. I've been doing that and it seems to work..
I'll keep a pitcher of water next to the baby's tank, so it can be at the same temperature.. then I'll add a cup each day.. so far so good.
Underthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

I add 1 gallon of water a week, for about 4 week's. Then the fry are 4 weeks old so its not as much stress and stuff on them there 4 weeks old when they get there first water change. But I add 1 gallon every week up to that 4 week mark, The way I put the water in is, I use some of the clear air line that you use to run air pumps and bubble stones. You use that air line shove it in the gallon jug your water is in, And get a siphon going. With the air line being small it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to add 1 gallon to the fry tank so it slowly added 1 gallon over a 3 or 4 minute period. It works really good I have been doing it for year's this way..