Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #1 
akjadestar

10 gallon tank plans and questions!

Well as some of you know I'm in the process of setting up a 10 gallon tank for my ((future)) betta! Anyways, first step complete, cleaned up my old 3 gallon and sold it to my sister for $15 bucks... I have about $50 now... I'm going through ads on Kijiji and finding great deals on tons of 10 gallon tanks... But because of the location of some of the sellers, I've narrowed it down to two tanks.

Tank #1 is $35 and comes with an air pump, thermometer, light, rocks, plants etc. That's all the info I got... Really, I just like this one because it comes with an air pump and I need one if I want to have a sponge filter. Though this doesn't come with a heater... And there's decorations, but I'm probably just going to go choose my own stuff anyways... Because like I said I'm making big plans for my tank and for all I know this tank could have neon gravel and bright plastic plants, and I want my tank to look more natural...

Tank #2 is $50 and comes with a stand (which is AWESOME, only... it's a brownish red color while all my furniture in my bedroom is white, that's why we might move the stand and use it for something else somewhere else) , it also comes with a heater, red gravel, a light bulb plus one extra one, extra filter, a timer, and lots of other misc. A picture shows all the stuff included... It's a kind of blurry picture and all the stuff is piled together so you can't see incredibly well, but I'm almost positive there's some clear glass stones, a tan rock formation, there's the bright red gravel, a net, I think a riser tube and pump, (which I might not need, unless I use a sponge filter), And it looks like some water conditioner (which I don't need atm), and also a mossy looking plastic plant (which I don't want, because I'm hoping to go with all live plants) This is only a slightly longer drive than tank one, but it's still only like 10 minutes, and it's near my school, I'm sure my parents would hardly mind driving there at all...

So I know that 2 comes with lots of extra stuff, is it worth the extra $15? And also, do you think I should go with a sponge filter or just a regular filter in the 10 gallon? This is my next step in my tank, deciding which tank to buy! (though I'm really leaning towards 2)
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #2 
RandomFish

Congrats on saving enough for your 10-gallon! Must be exciting.

I think you're right, #2 might be worth the extra $15 and distance. The stand and the heater alone are probably worth $30 combined. You could paint the stand white to match the rest of your furniture...or maybe even sell it for $10-$15.

As for the filter....IMO since it's gonna be a divided 10 gallon, a sponge filter would be least stressful for the betta who has it in his section.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 
Adastra

I would get #2, you probably wouldn't end up using the decor and crap that came with the first one and it's always good to have extra light bulbs--plus the heater is more expensive than the air pump. You could always spray paint the stand white--that's quick, easy, and cheap. You have a few filter options, personally I use a Tom Rapids Mini Canister filter on my divided tank, but sponge filters are good for bettas as well.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-15-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #4 
akjadestar

Oh no, I'm not setting up a divided tank anymore. I was worried about disease spread, so it will just be one, lucky betta! And I emailed the person and the tank is still on the market! I have to do some cleaning though, before my mom lets me tell the person I can for sure get it... So just thought I'd let you guys all know, and haha, that's funny, I never even thought about painting the stand! Anyways, the person also told me about all the stuff that comes with the tank... So now I'm planning about what decorations to put in, and the stuff in this tank I won't be using...

Gravel (red) (not using, I want brown natural gravel)
Heater and pump (Using the heater (duh) and using the pump if I go with a spone filter)
Plain black/blue background (nooo, because I want to make a background)
Extra filters (depends if I use a sponge filter or not)
Extra bulb (obviously using when needed)
Suction tool for cleaning gravel (oh yeah!)
Aquarium conditioner (sure once I run out)
Timer for light (Awesome!)
Magnetic glass scrubber (sweet!)
Fish net (already have one)
Fake plant and rock decoration (will use the rock, probably not the plant)

I'm soooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I need to clean and if I do, by Sunday the tank may be mine!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #5 
RandomFish

Omg that is an awesome deal! I really hope you get it! And I can't wait to see what you're gonna do for the background.. I love seeing DIY stuff.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Go with number two!!!!!!!!!! 8D Spray paint is your best friend when it comes to changing furniture colors! :nod:

Oh! And I'm gonna PM you some stuff that I think you'll want to take a good look at if you'll be living at home at least 3 years or more! =] I think you'll love it!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #7 
akjadestar

Cool, thanks very much! Sounds good, and I emailed the person, I'm officially getting the tank! SO excited... Next step... filter... sponge filter or the filter that comes with the tank, Penguin Power Filter 100
Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #8 
doggyhog

NICE deal!!! I'm always keeping my eye out for tanks with heaters on Craigslist. None seem to have them!

Good luck! Have you thought about getting any tank mates for your tank?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

CONGRATS!!!! =D Hey did you get that PM? =]

Someone on here is having a MAJOR beef with their penguin filter. =/ I'd talk to them and other penguin owners first.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #10 
frogipoi

frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote