Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #1 
Jessiefish

Question Rescue. Advice?

I went to PetSmart tonight and there was a little guy in a filthy cup -- there was even a HAIR in there -- looking at me... you know, THAT look... He's pretty alert and active, but he's got clamped fins and sort of a bump on his head -- it's not fuzzy and doesn't really look like an open sore or ich. In other words, he doesn't have any obvious specific condition that I can tell.

Anyway, what is the best course of action? I've got him in a kritter keeper with clean water and aquarium salt and a couple drops of Maracyn; should I leave it at that and wait it out since it seems like a lot of fishy issues are caused by nasty cup water?
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #2 
Adastra

I never recommend using antibiotics unless you know for sure that he is sick with a bacterial infection--however, now that you have used it, you must finish the treatment according to the instructions in order to prevent more resistant strains of bacteria from developing. Antibiotics can be very hard on fish, and their overuse has led to more resistant bacterial strains--next time I think you should at least give the fish a bit of time to bounce back on his own.

For now I would simply keep the water as clean as possible and very slowly acclimate him to higher temperatures by adjusting the heater up a notch every few hours until you get to 78-80--depending on how cold he was you might want to draw this out through the course of a day. A lot of the time pet store fish are just cold and suffering from ammonia poisoning. Also, try to make sure he is in a quiet, and very dimly lit place (a little light is good, and will help him adjust to his new surroundings). Try not to check on him too much and just let him rest.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #3 
Jessiefish

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #4 
Jessiefish

He's doing better. I didn't continue with the first medication (I didn't even use enough to dose the tank in the first place), which actually wasn't Maracyn but some other anti-fungal treatment. After no change in the fin clamping after 100% water changes, I started a course of Tetra Lifeguard and his fins started spreading. I'm guessing external parasites -- he just had the clamped fins and he eats like a pig.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #5 
Astro277

you should have made a big deal about the fish when you was at the LFS. A lot of times you can get them for free if you prove theres something wrong with it.

I dont reccomend buying from places like that because doing so is like saying yes we support you selling sick bettas in those little betta coffins. Remove one betta and a week later theres just another sick one in his place.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #6 
Jessiefish

Thank you SO much for your opinion that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

PetSmart is hardly an "LFS." Regardless of whether or not I'd left the Betta at the store, that's not going to stop them from getting another shipment and flushing the dead ones.

I wasn't attempting to make a statement by buying him; I thought he was a really cute fish and he needed some help. End of story.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #7 
Adastra

The idea of rescuing versus making sympathy purchases is a big recurring topic on most betta forums, it was a bit inevitable that someone would make a comment about your wording. It's not too late to give the store some feedback, depending on the demeanor of the general manager and how you word your suggestions, I have seen that some stores are very responsive, even pet superstores.

I am glad to hear he's doing better--seems like he should be fine with just some extra water changes. If he has any fin damage you might add some pre-dissolved aquarium salt or kosher salt. It's amazing what a little warmth and clean water can do for these guys.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #8 
Jessiefish

I guess I shouldn't use the term "rescue." Technically that's most Bettas -- they generally come from little cups or bags and we try to give them a better existence. I guess what mostly irritated me is that the response had nothing to do with care advice.

Really, he was nothing compared to what I've seen at our LFS. I purchased my first Betta there; the batch of fish they had at the time was wonderful -- healthy, vibrantly colored, clean water, etc. The cups were the size of Petco's cups, maybe even a little larger. Now they've downgraded to cups even smaller than Wal-mart's cups. Fin rot. Half-dead. Warped spines. Filthy, filthy water. Even ich and fungus-covered dragons. And it's like that all the time now.

I'm already using aquarium salt and still doing extra water changes. He does have some fin damage, but nothing really major. And he's still INHALING his food; I barely get it into the tank before it's snarfed. I guess it's not internal parasites, unless he has a tapeworm.