Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #21 
Oldfishlady

I can't keep up with my buyer...lol...supply and demand, hopefully these new spawning methods will get me ahead so I can sell to others one day.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #22 
MoePaac

I'm curious as to how this is going. Are they growing well outside? Do you keep betta's outdoors during the summer months?
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #23 
wallywestisthebest333

WOW! That's amazing! It sounds like they're really enjoying the more natural environment! =]

I'd like to try this when I'm out of college and HOPEFULLY on the west coast. =]

All the acid rain we get here on the east coast kinda scares me. The condition of the buildings around here tells me that the rain probably isn't safe for fish. =[

So how are the fry and father doing? =] I bet your buyer will be really happy to have some non-aggressive or low-aggression males! =] I know I would be! =]

I forgot to include my horror:

Dragonfly larva eat baby fish?!?!?!?!? D,8 How awful! I LOVE Dragonflies. <=[ It's shocking that they would do such a thing! I guess that's where they get their name partially? Their aggression and ferocity? =[

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 07-28-2010 at 09:38 AM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady

I am resisting temptation to bring the fry indoors.....lol
Some of the fry are 4 times larger than the other fry, I am sure that these are from the first spawn. They all look healthy and active, my one fear with this method is that they seem pretty wild and flighty due to lack of human contact/hand feeding.
I do add 1 cup of green water every day for added food and some mosquito larva for the male.

Water temp has reached the upper 90F during the day and low-mid 80's at night and neither the fry or male seem to be distressed
It rained 2 nights ago, not much, and this cooled it down to 75F and the fry are still doing fine-water temp was back up to the 80's

This was another worry I had-the effect of temp swings, but it hasn't seemed to bother them. Of course-I can't get a good count due to housing, but viewing from above I can still see hundreds of fry. I tried to get pics...no luck you can't see the fry but they are growing fast, I didn't plan to feed, but I couldn't resist I had to at least add green water and larva...lol....

To date-this experiment is going well, I may bring the fry inside by this weekend, it may get over 100F outside and even with just 6 hours of sun-the water may get too hot. I will start adding my tap water to their bucket to wean them from soft rainwater.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #25 
wallywestisthebest333

Cool! =]

I'm glad things are going well!

What's green water? =]

And how do you get the larva from your outdoor buckets to your inside tanks to feed your inside fish? We have mosquito problems with a cauldron we keep outside. ( I know lol) So can I scoop them from that? there's an awful lot of decaying plant matter in there. =[ Mostly maple leaves. Are those toxic to bettas? we have 3 maple trees.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Green water-are buckets I set out in the sun and add hay, grass clippings, oak leaf to grow all different kinds of micro-critters for fry food.

I collect mosquito larva with a small meshed net and place them in fresh clean water, I pick out the non-living stuff and run the larva through the net again and rinse lightly under running water. The really tiny larva fall through the net and I use an eye dropper to feed these to my older fry I have in the house and I dump the larva I have in the nets into my other tanks and watch the feeding frenzy.

If the mosquito larva are alive/living in the bucket of water they should be safe to feed your fish, I would not add any of the mosquito larva water to the fish tank.
I don't know of safety issues with maple trees, but if the mosquito larva are alive it must not be too toxic.
Black walnut tree-all parts in large volumes have been known to be toxic to aquatic life, especially the nut hulls.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #27 
vaygirl

It so neat how it's working out. This thread is fascinating! :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Amazing! I often keep males with many females and sometimes they would spawn. But only one female.

I have a spawn going at present (impulse). It rained the last few days. I noticed that the temp didn't change much (28 - 29C or about 84F). So it wasn't temp that has been killing my spawn during bad weather (I haven't been using thermometers). .... unless the thermometer is faulty.
Your spawn has been exposed to temp change and survived. This shows that they are adaptive as long as it's not a sudden change.

I hope to hear/read your experiment on multiple spawning...... I still can,t believe it...... Simply amazing!
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #29 
wallywestisthebest333

Cool so I just net them, then after I rinse them I can add them to the tank and let genie eat them? =] Sweet! No more mosquitoes!!!!! :D

Fortunately We have no black walnut trees! =] No worries there. Just pine and maple. =]

Oh hey. I can freeze the mosquito larvae right? like in ice cubes? So that if I have a lot that I can't feed to just one betta I can save them for later? =]
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #30 
Oldfishlady

I tried the freezing method on mosquito larva last year and it worked so well that I am doing it again this year, I use those little plastic to-go-type cup with lids you get a fast food places....worked great and I used an old cheese grater on the tiny hole part and grated the frozen skeeter on a paper plate to feed from....worked pretty well....