Betta Fish Forum banner

Talk me out of it!

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  bettablaze 
#1 ·
Molly and I went to get her nails done at Petco today and I found a betta I almost couldn't walk away from. He's a black crowntail with a yellow ventral fin. I know crowntails can curl in hard water but is that about it? I haven't had a moment like that in a while. He was like... take me hoooooooome! He was kinda fin-rotty but healthy otherwise. I have an eclipse 6 I just don't have a good place to put it. :shock: My husband will bust a gasket! Talk me out of it! (Asking you guys that is like... so silly! :p)

#3 ·
Hmm... I have a very hard time with CTs. Their fins melt off in my water and I've had to set up a whole separate tank for them so I can regulate their water. I won't be getting another CT again because it is just too much of a head ache. Unless you are ready to use IAL, salt, etc. to mess around with water chemistry, I wouldn't get him. It's just too much of a headache. I know that 1fish2fish has had similar issues with her CT as well.

Does that help?!?!?

#4 ·
It does! That's basically why I never got one. I mean, Tango's fins are a curly mess and now Whiskey's anals are starting to take a right turn.

Plus, like fate personified, my husband just emailed me that he'll be taking a vacation day tomorrow so we can take the dog to the park. My idea of going out tomorrow while he's at work and setting the whole thing up before he gets home is kinda dead in the water. :\

#6 ·
I wouldn't put it past him. Thanks Kuk, your info was basically what I was looking for. I have a good setup right now with my boys and Huey. I should just remain content. Til 1fish2fish has a baby I can take!!!! :p

#10 ·
Well that helped me too, I have been looking for a black betta and found a beautiful black and purpley male on ebay that I love but I can't be dealing with melting fins its just too heartbreaking to see :(

I have a good setup right now with my boys and Huey. I should just remain content.
I know how you feel, I am only ever content with my fish for about the first week, its ridiculous. When I first joined this forum and I read people saying how addicting they were I was like yea whatever but now I think I have the bug, I desperately want another one :)

#7 ·
Kuklachica said exactly what I was going to say. :)

I love my fishies but I will never get another CT until I can get an R/O water system. My fish look like bob-tails and nothing I do will make them grow back. I kinda think once they melt off your done for.

Plus you know you want to hold out for a baby ;-)

#11 ·
Hehehe. Alright. I won't get him! That's what I thought about crowntails. I have crazy curly guys to begin with. I can only imagine. Melting fins sounds like such a sad sight. You're right too, 1fish! I want a baby! :p

I actually thought of a spot. Huey's 6 gallon is on a wide sill that's in a window between my kitchen and my dining room. I'm thinking another 6 would look nice right next to it. It would almost take up the whole sill but the effect might look neat.

#15 ·
I'll have to test it. It's a really wide sill. I think the tank is 7 inches deep? And that's how wide the sill is. The tanks are acrylic so it's the water I'd have to worry about. I guess that would be about 100 lbs so. We'll see. I'll hang on it a bit... see what happens! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.