Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Question Playing With Your Fish - lol

So I was browsing through the forums and I clicked a link that led to a beautiful tank video, and somehow came across this video, which I thought was absolutely endearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSfVliwnsbA&feature=fvw

As you can see, this person clearly loves their fish, and this fish loves them, and the owner knows how to be careful with his fins as well. And I thought that would be incredible to be able to stick your hand in the tank and play with your betta.

However, my question. Sanitation. Even after washing your hands, isn't soap residue bad for fish? I can't think of any way that would be safe, even anti-bacterial stuff. Do you see how this could be safe for the fish in any way?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Minute amounts of soap residue is usually not harmful, but if it is something you worry about-a rinse with some vinegar should take care of the soap residue.. but rinse well after the vinegar and you know you didn't get it all if the tank foams a bit under the filter overflow and that should go away and not cause any problems when it is minute amounts.

If you keep your hand wet when touching the fish-it usually is not that bad on the fish slim coat, however, I would not play-touch to often.

Now I need to go look at that video.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #3 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Now I need to go look at that video.....
It's a lovely video I think.

Edit: There is a part 2 as well. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOpc...eature=related

Last edited by Ajones108; 07-15-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #4 
Adastra

Cute video, the main benefit of teaching your betta that trick is for when you need to catch them in a hurry. I'm sure this was a trained behavior--it is very easy to train a betta to do something using food. The inherent problem, though, is the fact that bettas are very easy to overfeed.

I do wish I had my bettas trained to do that though--my girl in particular has jumped the divider during feedings (it's only possible to jump over when the lid is opened) and I've had to grab her real quick before she got any wise ideas about the manly doubletail she's been impressing for the last few months.

The only thing I've really done as far as playing with my fish has been using a laser pointer--a few of them will chase it and try to bite it. Not all respond well to it, though.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #5 
Ajones108

I think I might attempt to train this one once his tank is fully set up and he's relaxed in this new home. It's annoying sometimes trying to cup him, having him willingly swim into my hand would make things so much easier. Haha.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I like to condition my fish to what I call- "feeding tap" of sorts, I start them as fry and I will tap on the rim of the tank as I lower the eye dropper and release food and soon all I have to do is "tap-tap" and they all come swimming to the area that I tap...makes for easy catching later especially in heavy planted tanks.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #7 
Ajones108

Ooh, that's a good idea.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

I never taught my girls this, but they will swim into my cupped hand if I put it in the tank. The only thing I can think of is they have come to associate my hand & fingers with a food dispenser - LOL!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #9 
Ajones108

People don't give fish enough credit. In that tiny little brain of theirs they got a lot going on. :]
Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #10 
TheJadeBetta

Very cute.
Caesar, the Betta in my avatar, if I can't find him. I will tap on the rim of his tank, just a tiny bit. Like OFL was talking about. And he swims fast and when he stops he will wiggle. He gets a reward of either attention or a bloodworm or whatever I am feeding that day, usually it is attention and a food item. But either way, he eats any and all of it up. I might have to try what Adastra does with the laser pointer.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote