Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #1 
bettalover2033

Lightbulb I have an idea:)!!!!!

I know that every one has seen many of these kinds of posts. but i really think this idea could work if we are kind and have reasonable explanations and try NOT to do it with force because that will just make them try and force their rules again and we most likely wont will so be nice talk to them and try to be very persuasive about it.

Okay, you guys/gals know about the horrific cups that bettas are transported in?

Im assuming YES, and i know that we all wish we could do something about that but lets be realistic we really cant change the entire world for bigger bags. i am fine that these tiny bags are for betta travelers but there is no way in heck that we are going to be able to change that world-wide as i said.

Edit: i am not fine about those horrible bags:).

So my idea is since we cant really save all the bettas, LETS TRY SOMETHING A LITTLE SMALLER. something that could be and actually happen? right? then see if we can build it up and give these magnificent fish what they REALLY do deserve.

I was just thinking of ideas and got a really do-able one. you know how bettas are in cups when they get to the pet stores? THEY WONT HAVE TO BE! they could be in better temporary homes like !!!DIVIDED TANKS JUST FOR THEM!!!

What do you think?

I mean they could be in one LONG 55 gal tank and have it divided up for them. it really could work just 1 gal each. i mean its better than just those little cups that they are already in, and there is still way more room for their other fish and pets.

they could be living a WHOLE LOT BETTER!! they would have swimming space *(a little bit more)* they could be happier and its easier for the clerk to sell faster and better. the bettas will be WAY more healthier and more energetic and alive than they look in the usual bowls. The best part is the clerk wont have to buy more and more bowls for them.

AND ITS DO-ABLE AND I THINK WE HAVE TO DO IT FOR LESS FISH TO SUFFER AND DIE. there are more fish dying than they are selling in those cups. MAYBE BOWLS, if the bettas ARE LUCKY

EVERYONE, WE COULD MAKE THIS LITTLE DIFFERENCE AND MAYBE WE COULD MAKE A BIGGER ONE LATER.

So all we have to do is talk to your clerk at the pet store and try your best to persuade him/her to change and tell them their benefit of the deal. which is they will sell more than the fish die, their customers as well as you will want more and more just knowing that their clerk actually cares and they will buy way more things from there.

so please please try this out and make a difference:D!!

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I COULD ALREADY SEE IT HAPPENING:)

I THINK IT COULD WORK WHAT ABOUT YOU??
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #2 
junosama

This is a great idea I was thinking of starting a non profit for this.
junosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by junosama View Post
This is a great idea I was thinking of starting a non profit for this.
we all know that a non-profit wont work because too many people love these fish and cant resist (like me):P we should try something like this:)

thanks for supporting?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #4 
Betta Slave

Good idea, I am with you, but are you saying that the bettas will arrive at the pet stores in 10 gallon tanks or something like that? The tanks could crack on the way to the store while they're being shipped. (I fully support this, but it's going to be hard.)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #5 
Adastra

This isn't really practical, unfortunately. I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but keep in mind that traditional dividers have spaces for the water to flow through, for filtration purposes. Many fish come into the fish store with diseases due to the conditions at the breeding facility and the stress of transport--unfortunately putting them all together would cause way too much cross contamination.

I've seen a similar system at a local petsmart--each fish was in a small square above the stock tanks, and though they were separated they were all in the same flow through system. These fish had some of the worst parasite infestations I had ever seen, along with horrific bacterial problems. They discontinued this system in Petsmarts because they lost huge amounts of stock.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #6 
junosama

A non profit would work if you got enough support and its a great foundation. With donations and such you could develop alternate solutions and put pressure on pet stores to change their methods.

And if you get people to volunteer and help out you could do a lot more good.
junosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Adastra does have a point. Most of the bettas at my pet store are all sick, and if you mixed them into one tank with a divider, the results would not be good.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #8 
FloridaBettas239

I wanted to let you guy's know there is a petsmart in my town that has a 55 gallon tank divided up into 1 gallon sections with bettas in each gallon. Now there is other petsmarts around me that ive been to and there in a cup. if we could get stores to keep them that way then things would be great.

The other thing i dont care that they are in a little bag for shipping. It would cost an arm and leg to ship in big tanks when its only a 2 dollar fish. There would be no money to be made. Plus when i go to the pet store and buy a clown loach or gold fish and i have him in a bag im not like omg he is in this little bag. because its just temporary just like when bettas are in a little bag for shipping there only in for a day or 2.

Now this is the part thats just about as bad as the betta in a cup and that is 2 or 3 days before the bettas get put in them bags to get shipped they stop getting any food so for 3 day before shipping no food then the whole time there at the pet store no food and the reason why is because they would poop a lot and foul up the little bit of water there in that right there would tell me they need a bigger tank not to be starved, ASnd if they feed them and it fouls up the water then they have to change it every day and everyone knows they dont want to change a little cup of water everyday right.

anyway i dint no if anyone seen a divided tank like that or knew about the starving thing so hope i could help and im glad people are thinking about this and wanting to do something about it i am really good friends with the manager at petsmart so he lets me change the water in the cups when i go in there and my bubby owns a pet store almost as big as petsmart and i have 5 bettas for sale at all time but they are in the bennie baby cases there clear and about 1/2 gallon that away the fish can swim a little bit and the buyers can see there fins opened up and moving plus the main reason is so the fish is happy lets keep this thread going and see what we can do with this.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #9 
Narnian

I agree that the cross-contamination could be an issue. Also, my petstores carry anywhere from 20-50+ at a time. That would be A LOT of divided tanks, and frankly I don't think they would have room for that.

I think it's a great thing you're trying to do, but I'm not sure how "open" to the idea that many will be, but keep trying! Bettas certainly do not get the respect they deserve, unfortunately.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #10 
Lion Mom

I have never understood why places that sell bettas couldn't display them in 1/2 gal. bowls. They are not expensive (especially wholesale) and they don't take up a ton of room. While not ideal, they are CERTAINLY better than the tiny cups, IMO!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote