Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #1 
meeka

Exclamation urgent help - fin rot

hi,
i am writting this from my fone so sorry in advance for any typos.

My betta seems to have fin rot. I have had him for a few months in a 20l or 5 gallon tank and all water conditions are fine. I have been having ammonia problems but my tank seems to have cycled now ...... Yes i know ....... I shouldnt have cycled with a fish it in, i was just ignorant.

I dont know what to get to fix his fins. His tail and top fins and the worst, they r coming apart and looked fraid.

Should i buy betta fix, melefix or primafix? Should I use stress coat? Should I add some aquarium salt?

Currently I just use sechem prime and yesterday I put a touch of regulator in.

Please help asap as I dont want to be a bad mummy
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What I like to do for mild cases of fin rot-water changes and lots of them, I like to treat in a small QT, however, you can try in the 5g by making daily 50% water only changes
If the rot is advanced I will use QT (half to 1g bare bottom) and add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days.
I like to keep my salt pre-mixed in a clean 1g jug to make dosage and water changes easier
Can you post a pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #3 
meeka

Waterlife Myxazin

I took some pics to my local LFS who has said that it is fin rot. I am treating with Waterlife Myxazin.

This is what the info is on their site:
MYXAZIN lowers the count of harmful bacteria in aquarium water, treating Fin Rot, Body Rot, Ulcers, Sores and other bacterial infections. MYXAZIN will also help to control Pop - Eye Disease, Cloudy Eyes and Mouth Fungus. MYXAZIN should be used daily until symptoms disappear (typically this would be between 3 and 5 applications). MYXAZIN can also be used to sterilise nets and live foods such as Daphnia and Tubifex. MYXAZIN is mild on fish, highly biodegradable and effective against a wide range of fish health problems.
Available in:
60ml (5 day course for 180 litres)

I contacted waterlife as I didnt read this on their site first and they said to do 20% water changes in between each 5 day treatments and to add a little salt. (which is 1 tsp per 5G/20L)

I am not seeing instant improvement (I am only on my second round of treatment). But the ends of his fins seem better, but he's developed this horrible gapping hole which has now torn. There is no blood. I am worried that the rot will reach his body and then I believe there is no hope? as the bacteria will then enter the blood stream?

Has anyone else here used this product? How long until I see great imporvement? Do the fins take long to grow back?

I am unsure of his age, I think he is quite old. Also he is a blue veiltail. Are the veiltails more prone than shorter finned varities?

I feel so guilty as I think it is my fault as I cycled the tank with him in it. I now have to ammonia, nitrate or nitrite.

Thanks guys x

Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 
meeka

Pictures of Marleys Fin Rot

Heres some pictures of Marley.
2 are of before, when he was healthy and the rest are of his sore fins.
Sorry they arent the best quality.
Attached Images