Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Question For the 2 week conditioning process...

...do u think that it would be okay to feed JUST Freeze dried blood worms for the entire conditioning process? Or should I throw in some BS eggs?

Also...

Feed 3 times a day?
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

I would use Frozen foods. Also, I am confused on the BS eggs?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #3 
FloridaBettas239

freeze dried blood worm's is nothing. You need to be feeding at least frozen food's. And if you can live food's. Spawning take's a lot out of bettas specially the male, Its not about just feeding them why they see each other for 2 week's and then put them together. I have put my fish together on the 3rd day and had a spawn in 6 hour's. You need to look into some thing's still, Do some research...

As for the BS egg's. Ive never heard of that my whole life, And from what i have heard. Is you shouldnt let them eat to many of the BS shell's they can get swim bladder problem's.. So if you hatch your own becareful.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

When I say i put them together on the 3rd day. Its because they were ready to go. And i no what im looking for.. I dont no if you do

I had to clear thing's up i dont want you just putting them together in 3 day's..
Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #5 
Dead Sunlight

Thank you,

I'm doing this spawn together with Maryrox247. It's her female and my male, but we're spawning at my house, so I don't want to mess up.

Anyways, I get really confused about the different ways people breed Bettas.

1. When you condition, do you let the male and the female see each other for the 2 weeks?

2. Would it be okay if I condition the male in the actual breeding tank?

I'm so sorry, I'm such a curious mind. I guess I'll have to research more.

- Dead Sunlight
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

You need to go study before you think about breeding. There is ton's of info out there that tell's you everything step by step. So if your getting ready to breed you should already no all this stuff. I should be learning off of you, If your getting ready to breed. Thats how much you should no about it.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #7 
mollyyymo

Deadsunlight - you can condition the male in the breeding tank. The fish should be introduced after two weeks of conditioning.
Introduce the female while she is contained in a clear cup floating with the male. I'm sure you know about breeding stripes and bubble nests already.

You have a plan for the babies, right?
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

I do things a little differently than molly.

I don't let the male or female see any other fish while being conditioned. I don't know how important it is for the male but the female could decide to release her eggs too soon if she sees a male.

I condition both fish (on frozen food) for two weeks. I put the male and the female in the spawning tank at the same time. I keep the female in a glass pickle jar (about 1 gallon) with a little bit of java moss so the male can see her but if she feels threatened she can hide. As soon as the male begins the bubblenest I release the female. I pack my tank with java moss so if the male tries to attack the female she can get away easily.

I do agree with FlordiaBettas.. if you are really ready to breed you should have these questions answered already.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #9 
mollyyymo

1f2f & Florida - perhaps DS is just making sure she has things exactly right before starting to breed. What better way to do that than looking to experienced breeders like yourselves?

DS, good luck to you and keep those fish healthy. :)
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #10 
Astro277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Sunlight View Post

Anyways, I get really confused about the different ways people breed Bettas.

1. When you condition, do you let the male and the female see each other for the 2 weeks?

2. Would it be okay if I condition the male in the actual breeding tank?

I'm so sorry, I'm such a curious mind. I guess I'll have to research more.

- Dead Sunlight

Conditioning bettas is when you feed them things such as frozen foods for 2 weeks at the least. It makes them phyically ready to breed.

The male should not be conditioned in the breeding tank. He will foul up the water and it will have to be cleaned out before placeing them in there together. If not it can cause the eggs to get fungus n other things.

Anyother questions you have i'd be happy to answer.

And if i read correctly she said getting ready to breed. So getting this information from us is her getting stuff together to get ready. At least she dident just put them together and is now asking for info.

Last edited by Astro277; 07-18-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote