Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #11 
jeanclaudeasher

Also my tank is in a corner that gets absolutely no sun light and even with lights my live plants died. And yes the 10 gallon was cycled. Thanks for the info though.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #12 
TheJadeBetta

What type of lights do you have? And your welcome.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 AM   #13 
jeanclaudeasher

Umm I will have to pull the box out tomorrow and look but I believe they are fluorescent lights (I got this tank for free about a month and a half ago and am still getting used to taking care of the larger tank and havent had to buy replacement bulbs yet). Its almost 2:30am here and I can't get to the box without making a lot of noise and waking everyone else up. Either way I will have to think long and hard and do more research before I get live plants again because when I tried them last time, I removed them about 2 weeks after putting them in the tank since they looked sad and werent doing well and about a week after removing the plants my fish starting dying and I lost about 1 fish a week until I had lost them all (major tank cleaning after that). The only thing I had changed was adding the plants and then removing them and I had not done any large water changes during that time period either.....

One of the reasons I did do such a large water change this time and removed the fish was because I was throwing out all of the old gravel that came with the tank (it was very dirty as in turn the water brown even after 2 through cleanings and I picked out a color that I like better), I was worried that in the process of removing about 15 pounds (or at least thats what it felt like when I picked up the bag it was in) of gravel and then putting several bags of new gravel in I would accidentally hurt one of the fish.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #14 
jeanclaudeasher

Alright and I heard back from my friend and here is her answer to your questions:

yes it's a plecostamus... about 6 inches.
the tank was given to us... about 3 months ago... i know i added fish a little too early (admittedly a newbie mistake), but the problem started when a woman (near week 3 of the tank) gave me baby guppies. i told her only 5-7 of them and she gave me nearly 20...
all those have died from either ick or ammonia poisoning.
for the last 2 months i've been changing the water about 3 times a week (except for 2 weeks when the ammonia problem first blew up and i was changing it daily). but the adult healthy guppies that i had originally purchased made it through all of these issues until this week... but 2 weeks ago the adult guppies had babies (prolific breeders) 16 total... only 3 are surviving now.
leaving 1 adult guppy, 3 babies, 1 pleco, 3 neons.
after all that... LOL
should i put the current fish in a holding tank and clean the 20 gal from top to bottom (minus the one part of the filter that is suppose to have the good bacteria)???
i don't have a tank that would hold the fish for longer then a day or two that would allow the bigger tank to properly stabilize... or should i just wait it out and keep changing the water as i'm doing?
(i've been using a vacuum and changing about 5 gals out).
i'm currently feeding them only once a day only a couple pinches and an algae wafer for the pleco...
Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #15 
TheJadeBetta

Is the tank used? You might have to replace the lights. Oh, I understand about the gravel now.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 AM   #16 
TheJadeBetta

What type Pleco is it? Also, what type of Dechlorinator is being used? What is the level of ammonia? It might be best to move them to the already settled tank. I keep rereading your first post, to get into my brain. It could be you both could have to much Bio-Load on the tank. Plecos create a lot of waste, almost as much as a gold fish.

P.S. I noticed about Boiling rocks, do not boil rocks!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #17 
jeanclaudeasher

Yes I got the tank used, I may wait a week before I replace the light since I just bought a bunch of gravel (my understanding when I said I would take the tank was that I would not need to buy anything new.......I had to buy a new filter the first week due to the fact that the tank is in my bedroom and the filter was extremely noisy and then I bought a lot of new gravel over the last 2 weeks. The tank also came with a heater that doesnt look to be in good shape but the water temperature without the heater is at a steady 80 degrees F. and I wont need to use a heater until around September when the weather starts getting cooler =P so I will get that at a later date)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #18 
jeanclaudeasher

Alright I asked her those questions. I am going to go to bed now but will send you her reply in the morning. Thank you again for answering so many questions =)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #19 
jeanclaudeasher

Oh and is a bristlenose sucker fish a Pleco? night for now!!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:55 AM   #20 
TheJadeBetta

Your welcome. Though, it seems I was asking a lot. lol G'Night.

EDIT: Yes, it is a Bristlenose Plecostamus. A smaller species though.