Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #11 
Astro277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jinkx View Post
Hey guys, thanks for your replies.. Today I took him down to my LFS, which is a family owned and run business who have been operating for over 20 years, so they know their stuff. They looked at him through a magnifying glass and a light and said he has flukes and an internal parasite.. :( The recommendation was to do 100 percent daily water changes, as you suggested Adastra. I have treated him with a medication that they sold me, although its thought that in the condition he is in, he may not cope with the dosage. Either way he would die so I am giving him a chance on the meds.
Are they going to let me keep him? If he survived all of this and gets healthy there is NO way I would hand him back to them.
Dipsy I have tried him on blood worms today to no avail. I will keep doing my best with him however, and my fingers are crossed that all is not lost...

How big is the tank? If its not at least 2 gallon id suggest you upgrade him so it is easier to measure the dosage.

I dont think he needs the stress of 100% water changes. 80% would be a lot less stressful for him. What meds did they give you?

I would suggest useing a little Aquarium salt to help with stress and a heater is a must. It should be kept around 78-82 degrees while he is sick.

And no offence to the LFS you went to but you must remember that their purpose is to sell you stuff, if they sell you a medication that might help they make money. If it kills the fish because it was not safe for bettas you will want to replace the betta and most likely get it from them and they make money once again. And 20 years operating doesnt mean they know there stuff about bettas just they know how to sell there stuff.

This is a good place to help treat you lil guy.
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showforum=27
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #12 
Miss Jinkx

Thanks to each and every one of you who has taken the time to read and reply. Yesterday when I woke up I found him laying on his side on the bottom of his tank. He could hardly swim to the surface for oxygen so I had no other option than to euthanize him. I couldn't bare to think of him suffocating slowly, unable to move. I am so angry that they let him get so sick, but what makes me even more frustrated is that when I went in to tell them today they laughed at me for taking him to a "vet"... I explained that it was the LFS that diagnosed him. The talk then shifted to replacing him with something else, maybe a goldfish. I did my best to explain that it was not the best environment for a fish to be kept in if they couldn't maintain the tank and keep the water clean.. I think my words have fallen on deaf ears.
Miss Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #13 
Miss Jinkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro277 View Post

And no offence to the LFS you went to but you must remember that their purpose is to sell you stuff, if they sell you a medication that might help they make money. If it kills the fish because it was not safe for bettas you will want to replace the betta and most likely get it from them and they make money once again. And 20 years operating doesnt mean they know there stuff about bettas just they know how to sell there stuff.

MY LFS has been very caring and helpful for as long as I have been going there. They have never pushed a sale on me like the big chain stores do, and they have given me lots of free stuff (small items like tubing, air stones, and plants.) They gave me the options and advised that treatment would most likely kill him because he was so sick, but that the parasites would do him in also so at the end of the day it was my decision to try treatment. They also knew the situation and that I wouldn't be replacing the fish if it died. I think its easy to be negative about people who make a living from selling fish and lump them all in the one basket but there are some good, decent people who love fish as much as we do, who have been lucky enough to become successful doing something that they are passionate about.
Miss Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #14 
Sarada

I have to agree, my LPS has been awesome too. They actually upgrade the tanks of bettas that remain in their store if there for more then a week. Usually they all sell but last week there were two left, I went back to visit and they had put them each in their own 2.5 gallon tanks.
They also keep in touch to see how the girls are doing in their sorority, I guess they don't have people doing female betta soroities often and think it's neat. The owner has actually called me to make sure they are all getting along and offered temporary tanks for them if I have to separate them.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote