Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #1 
Welsh

Tank Dividing Question

I am thinking about dividing a 10 or 12 gallon tank, depending on what size my auntie can get me and I was wondering do I need two heaters and filters for the tank, or will one of each be enough?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #2 
Welsh

After looking online and in stores I couldnt find a 10 gallon tank at a reasonable price for me to divide, instead I found a 6.5 gallon but im uncertain whether this is too small to divide. I like my bettas to have room to swim and im not sure whether 3.25 gallons is big enough, it doesnt help that I haver never seen a divided 6 gall either, the tank is 18x10x10 inches
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #3 
Dead Sunlight

For a divided tank, u don't need 2 fil or hea. 1 is fine as long as the dividers have holes So the fil and hea can get to the other side to help circulate the other side. If u do this, u should put the filter on one side, and the heater on another.

:( So sorry!

I myself think that 6.5 gal. is too small to divide. It would be best to not divide in my experience, but if u do, u should get consider getting Mini Hydro fil/hea. Bigger filters and heaters will take up much living space.

Again, so sorry:(

- Dead Sunlight
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #4 
Raichou

Don't give up trying to find a 10 gallon...when divided, it would give each betta a ton of room. :)

If it helps, try checking resources like craigslist and garage sales. I find a lot of good stuff on there...I just recently bought a 30 gallon tank with a wooden base for $10. Found the guy on craigslist. I bought a cute metal stand with asian accents for $3. It's all about waiting for the right deal to come across! Just be patient...people add new items every day.

Some people sell their stuff REALLY cheap, and if you don't mind a bit of scrubbing or a tiny silicone fix, you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars.

If you do find something, though, make sure you buy it from the seller in a public location...and bring friends or adults :)
Raichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 
Adastra

Depends on the shape of the six gallon, in my opinion. The bookshelf style ones are very short and long (24" long, iirc), which would mean plenty of horizontal space. If you use the needlepoint craft mesh and report cover spines technique, you should only need one heater and filter. You may want to have a low flow airstone on the side without the filter in order to keep the water moving through the divider.

Last edited by Adastra; 07-19-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #6 
mjbn

go to petsmart. 10G with hood&filter for $30.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #7 
Welsh

The tank is 18 inches long, i'm just really impatient I guess but I will find that 10, I did find a 12 gall for 30 so I may get that. I have seen 6.5 galls on google and they did look quite spacious. I don't live in the US either so i cant get those tanks you suggested
Old 07-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #8 
BerkB33

IMO the 10 gallon is a great size to divide. I've got mine divided into 4 equal compartments of 2.5 gallons. Have a silk plant and a couple of small stones in each compartment. All the guys (bettas) SEEM quite happy and content. The only drawback I've seen in my short time (6 months) using a divided tank is in the event you contact fin rot or the like...one gets it, they all get it. I've started doing a 50% water change 3 times a week...that has worked keeping everybody healthy and disease free.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #9 
Welsh

I really want a 10 gallon, its big enough but not too big which makes it easy to place anywhere and as I have three tanks already in my room, space is starting to run out fast lol.

I'm contemplating dividing the tank for my shrimp and for my future new betta, but the betta would get the bigger side obviously :) the only trouble with that is if the shrimp breed the little shrimplets may escape the mesh lol