Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #1 
Refrigerate

Opinions on this med?

I'm having a problem with my 3 year old betta. It maybe just because he's old but the petstore I went to has never heard of the symptoms I told them. Anyway, they gave me 'lifeguard' by Tetra. It's supposed to be an all in one treatment in the form of tablets. Has anyone heard of this and is it trustworthy? Does it really work that well? Should I use this on an old fish?
Refrigerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of symptoms is he showing?

Sorry, I can't help with the medication issue that you have, IMO-I would not use any medication unless you know what you are treating
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #3 
Refrigerate

He seems to have a large 'bulge' below the gills..If bettas had chests, that's where it would be. Yesterday and the day before he was in good spirits, was excited when I came over to say hi, etc. But now today he seems to be a bit lethargic. He'll come over and swim and be happy but it seems to tire him out. He usually just rests on a tall plant I have in there for him.

I'd just rather be safe and not throw some medication in there, especially because he's older.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic?
Is he bloated in the stomach area? Eating okay, just more lethargic and resting more..right?
How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, is the tank filtered and what is the water temp, additives used and any live plants, what kind of food and how much fed, have you seen him poop and if so what does it look like?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #5 
RandomFish

Bulge? Like does it look like he swallowed a marble? That might be dropsy. Whether it is or not, it would be a good idea to fast him for a few days if he has a bulge.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #6 
RandomFish

I forgot to say...if it IS dropsy then I don't think any medication is going to help him, sorry to say...I've never heard of a betta recovering from dropsy. So I hope your guy is just bloated or something.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #7 
Refrigerate

No, I can't, sorry. The girl at the store thought that it couldn't be dropsy because the lump isn't far enough down the body, and his scales don't seem to look 'pineconish'. I have him in a 5 gallon tank, and the last water change was last week. I use AmQuel plus right before each water change, and I've been feeding him Wardley betta food..I've been using both of those brands for three-four years. I don't use live plants, only fake because I really don't know that much about it and I don't use a filter because I figured the tank is too small.

I hope it isn't dropsy but it does look like he's swallowed a marble..The only thing is that it's not really his stomach..I've been fasting him but gave him one small pellet this morning which he ate but..lethargically.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like a water quality issue IMO, in a 5g without filtration or live plants it needs at least 50% weekly and 100% weekly water changes

I would start by making some 30% daily water changes for 2 days and then 50% water changes for 2 days then 100% water changes for 5 days and see if he won't perk up.
Because of the low number of water changes the nitrate may be high and sudden drop in nitrate can shock the fish-

Then on a regular schedule make twice weekly water change of 1-50% and 1-100% or get a small filter and cycle the tank and the water change of twice weekly 50% should keep the water quality at levels to maintain long term health and wellness.
I would also keep the water temp in the 76-78F area
Hold all food for at least 3 days and then feed half of the normal feeding every-other day during the water changes to clean up the tank.
Use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees of old and new water to prevent any temp related problems.