Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

kinda floating but can still swim

I got a new betta this past week, and I've been waiting to put him into his new tank (he's got a gill cover sticking out, so I'm a little worried about any ornaments). He's currently in a small globe, similar to the size of the one he was in in the store. They keep theirs in bigger containers than most stores.

Up until this morning, he's been spending most of his time down at the bottom of the globe. This morning when I checked on him, he seems to just be floating at the top of the tank. He's still watching everything and is swimming around, but he's staying at the top when he's not swimming. It looks like his swim bladder might be a bit bloated, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas what could be wrong, or if there's anything wrong?
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #2 
newfiedragon

After looking at some older pics of him and comparing to some pics from just now, he doesn't seem to have a bloated swimbladder. Either that or his swimbladder is always bloated. Still kinda just hanging out at the top of the bowl, though.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #3 
XSprinkleFaceX

If you think he has a swollen swim bladder, try adding some aquarium salt..it usually helps reduce swelling. He may also be lethargic due to the cold water since im guessing you dont have a heater?
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #4 
XSprinkleFaceX

I honestly don't think his bladder is swollen or else he would've been swimming on his side.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #5 
newfiedragon

No heater yet, was gonna put him in his tank soon, but the water suddenly went cloudy, so now I'm gonna have to wait a bit longer.

He's still really active and swims around lots whenever anyone's near, he's just floating at the top. And not the bad kind of floating on his side or anything, just...floating.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #6 
XSprinkleFaceX

Well some betta's do that. Is he losing colour or anything? Is he eating normally?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 
newfiedragon

yeah...he seems fine otherwise. He just suddenly starting hanging out at the top of the bowl.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #8 
XSprinkleFaceX

Hmm, Betta's are top dwellers so I don't see that as a problem really if everything else is fine. He's probably just chillin there since he has no where else to hide or anything.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

If he's bloated then I would fast him for a couple of days, then feed him some daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #10 
Adastra

Dramaqueen is right, he's probably bloated. This is the result of being overfed, or being fed dry air-filled foods like freeze-dried stuff, pellets, or flakes. These things should always be fully rehydrated in a little bit of tankwater before you give them to your betta. Proper temperatures are also vital to the digestion process since the metabolism of cold-blooded animals relies on warmth from the environment. Cold temperatures cause digestion to slow, so food gets caught in the gut, putting pressure on the swim bladder, causing the betta to float.

If you cannot heat the tank safely due to its size, you should move it into a warm stable area. Fasting and feeding fibrous foods is also a good idea, frozen brine shrimp and frozen daphnia both have a lot of fiber because brine shrimp and daphnia are mostly exoskeleton. Some people also use the blanched pea treatment--take a frozen, unsalted pea (canned peas are too salty), take a paper towel and dip it in tank water, wrap the pea in it, and heat for a few seconds in the microwave. Remove the skin, moosh up the pea meat, take off a pellet sized piece and feed to the betta. This is effective, but bettas cannot derive nutrition from the pea, so it's basically like taking straight up fiber.

I only use aquarium salt for treating open wounds and tail injuries, it's not necessary or really helpful in this situation.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote