Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

MOLD Help please. =/

So I've had my 5 gallon set up for forever. I wanted to cycle it but life kept getting in the way. So I figured
"Hey! While I'm waiting to start my cycle I can TOTES grow some plats! 8D"

Well me in all of my genius and inexperience decided to buy a dwarf lilly bulb from walmart........................After I read that they mostly just mold.......

Well guess what mine did? *Drumroll*

It molded.

It did that about a week and a half ago.

I haven't had the time to clean it or tear it down as I've had all of my days off taken up by promised events and family stuff. On top of that I'm usually too exhausted to do anything at all after work so that's another reason.

Well now it's all over EVERYTHING and some of it has turned orange today.

I get off work tomorrow at 2 though so I could be rested in an hour or two and do a complete tear-down and reset.

How do I get rid of this stuff?!?!?! It's all up in my filter and EVERYTHING!!! It's all over my plant and airstone and GAH!!!!

My biggest worry is the plant! It's starting to DIE! I paid $8 for that thing! >.< I LOVE it too!!! It's too cute to let go of! How can I clean it without killing it?

Everything else I'll probably just boil and scrub.

Is it ok to boil gravel or will it explode? =/ I plan on boiling it on the grill outside just in case but I still don't want to hurt myself, my animals, or my mom's deck. =/

BTW for those that didn't know or hadn't figured it out yet Genie is in a 2 gallon jar on my dresser. Not the 5 gallon tank. I'd never let that happen to him. =[

Any help would be welcome! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Is it mold or blue green algae?

Since the tank doesn't have any livestock...I would do a complete tear down or add some bleach (5g tank/2-3 caps bleach) and let it run through the filter for 24h and then rinse well and use dechlorinator
or let it sit dry for a day or two in the sun...or both depending on how bad
Can you post a pic......

The live plant I would remove and place in anything that holds water and clear and put it in some indirect sun after you clean it in some fresh water

Air-stone-you can sit it in some vinegar water if it seems plugged and then rinse well

Be careful boiling those rock and I don't think you really need to anyway if you do the bleach and sun method

Rinse that bulb and if it is still hard-I would let it dry and try it again.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #3 
frogipoi

MOLD? I heard those are extreme hazards (the bulb). They just mold.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Thank you OFL! =D I know I've said this many times before but: YOU'RE THE BEST!!!! 8D

I'll tear it down tomorrow then fill it with hot water and bleach then let it run for a day. then I'll set it outside like you said! =] I think it's supposed to be warm! =]

Well I think I threw the moldy one away because I was mad but I have another... would that work? It's been dry for like 2 weeks.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

XD we posted at EXACTLY the same time! XD
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #6 
frogipoi

If it molds don't try. The bulbs are bad then you must tell the seller and throw them away.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Those little lily bulbs can be a pain, you can place them in a shallow dish of dechlorinated water and then place in a window with indirect sun and sometimes they will sprout better, I get a little better sprout rate this way..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Sweet! 8D Since I'm doing that with my anubias while my tank cleans anyway I might as well do it with the bulb I have left! =] This way if it molds I can clean the container MUCH more easily! =] I think I'll do this with all my plants from now on! =] I'll jut put them in their own little jars by the window. =]

Tags
5 gallon, cleaning, dwarf lily bulb, mold, plants