Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 
mjbn

Consistent fin rot.?

My betta has started a very slight fin rot ever since he took what seems like 2 good bites out of his tail and since then the tips of his tail have been grayish and have been this way for about 2-2 1/2 weeks now. He is in a 1.5 gallon, and i've been doing 100% water changes daily with a water conditioner and aquarium salt. It doesn't seem to be getting better, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse either. Water is 78 degrees and i feed him 2 pellets twice a day (Aqueon Betta pellets) and fast him on sundays. And his bottom fin/tail (anal fin.?) is curled at the very end, and it has been this way since the 1st week i've had him. Also his top fin rods seem to be seperating as well, it no longer looks like it does in the picture in my avatar. The end closest to his tail has one rod that is seperated from the rest of his fin. What can i do to get rid of the rot&fin problems.? I'm trying my best to help him.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #2 
Adastra

Does he have a heater, and have you been slowly acclimating him to the new water every time you change it? Cold and stressed out fish do not heal very well at all--I would be keeping him at the higher range of temps, probably around 82 degrees, feeding high protein foods (live or frozen), and definitely be careful and take your time with acclimating him after water changes.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #3 
mjbn

yeah that's probably it.. I let him sit in a cup in the newly filled tank for about 5 mins then put him in.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote