Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

Question Anything else I could do? What do you think?

Well.. I told myself NO MORE bettas, as I already have 13 shipping out to buyers and one older guy (Cornelias) and 12 sorority girls.... But I just cant help myself.
I took a trip to my local walmart today and came across a cup with a inch of green water on the betta shelf...I took a closer look and there was a poor little guy swimming around in it! I was horrified! I watched him for a min. or so...and noticed that he was swimming in a tight circle nipping at what was left of his tail. I also noticed that he had redish gills (due to water quality)
So I took him home.. Housed him in a 1.5g bowl with a heater (81degrees) added some aqua salt and some Ich away, and sat him by Cornelias.
He ate one pellet and one bloodworm, but will not eat what is left of what I offered him.. He is swimming, not well, as his whole tail is gone, but he is swimming.
Also. I havent seen him nip at his tail since I brought him home..So im hoping that will stop for good. But his gills are still that reddish color...Will the aqua salt take care of that..
Is there anything else I could do for this guy?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #2 
Jupiter

The red gills, like you said, are from bad water quality...probably ammonia burn...but hopefully he'll perk up with warm, clean water and the salt you gave him. Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

Thank you. He is also starting to swim around a bit more...As I moved him away from Cornelias (I think he was frightened of him) And what do you think I should do about feeding? He has eaten one pellet, and one bloodworm....
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Well, sometimes it takes time for bettas to adjust to their home, so they don't eat right away. I have had some boys that eat as soon as they come home, but I had one that wouldn't eat for a week...anyway, one pellet and one bloodworm is a good portion.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

He is settled in just fine! Bubble nest and all! :D
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #6 
Adastra

A bit of methylene blue can be helpful for dealing with ammonia poisoning, and it is a stronger preventative than salt for external parasites and infections, so you might consider that. Just make sure that if his tank has plants or a cycled filter that you treat him in a secondary container.

You should also write a letter of complaint to the management of that WalMart. Your purchase has saved one betta, but remember, there will be another one there to suffer in his place next week. It's important to speak up for him too, and letters of complaint can often have significant results. If nothing happens after you submit your complaint, send it to the regional management--stores will often shape up once the regional management comes to call.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

Thank you. And About the the letter of complaint..I have done this two times before. Nothing has changed..