Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #1 
kakashikage

Question Inexpensive tanks??

I've had a betta for about a week now, and he's in a one-gallon tank, which I have come to realize is woefully inadequate for such an active fish! However, I'm a graduate student on a tight budget. I'd like to get a three- or five-gallon tank (five gal is the max my apartment complex will allow without paying extra money on my lease). Does anyone have any advice on a good three- to five-gallon tank kit that will not be super expensive to maintain? (I'm willing to pay a bit extra upfront in order to save time/money on maintenance in the future!)
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #2 
frogipoi

There are things on Aquabid that are cheapish so look around on there. Also some people here might be willing to give you one for free!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #3 
kakashikage

Thanks, frogipoi! I'm doing tons of research because Amadeus (my precious betta) was an unexpected addition to my family and I had no idea what to do with a betta! He was used as a decoration at a wedding reception, and the maid of honor wanted to flush him at the end, but no way would I stand for that! I grew up with all kinds of pets and can't even imagine trashing a living creature like that!
I feel bad for Amadeus, because I know I don't yet have all the supplies he really needs, but I am accumulating stuff as quickly as I can, and doing hours of research to meet his needs. These forums have been a lifesaver, everyone has been so nice and helpful, I don't know what I'd do without you all!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 
Adastra

You should check around on your local craigslist/kijiji/freecycle. Small tanks come up all the time. If you want to buy new, I suggest buying online from Foster and Smith Aquatics or Big Al's--shipping is very reasonable flat rate, and the prices are much better than what you'd find in pet stores.

Please research the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank fishlessly before you put your fish in.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #5 
frogipoi

I am sure everyone says your welcome. Poor Amadeus! Being used as a wedding decoration must been horrible. At least now he is with you! He is very lucky
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #6 
Zoelie

I don't know if you have a Meijers close to you, but they have a 5 gallon tank there for $9. It sadly doesn't come with a hood, but if you are really broke I am sure you can make a make-shift cover from craft mesh or something until you have enough money for a hood :)
Zoelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #7 
frogipoi

Try yard sales! They are cheap but be careful with unnoticed cracks.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #8 
kakashikage

I've found a Marineland Eclipse System 3 online for $36, which is just inside my budget, but I don't know much about aquariums. Is this a good one? The online reviews seem very favorable, I just want to be sure I'm getting a quality product...
Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #9 
kakashikage

GREAT news! My parents have decided to buy me a new aquarium (up to $50) as a present to Amadeus! I am THRILLED and I know Amadeus will love it, too. I am now considering a 5-gallon tank, my only concern is finding a place to put it. Does anyone know how heavy a full five-gallon tank is??
Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #10 
Adastra

Probably around 60 lbs if glass, probably a little less if acrylic--also depends on how much gravel you put in it.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote