Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #11 
RandomFish

Yeah I'd much, MUCH rather have a divided tank with two gorgeous betta splendens than a group of plain ol' mollies.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #12 
betta fish crazy

speaking of mollies...

I had a few mollies once. One completely disappeared. I still don't know where it went. When we sold the tank we took down the whole thing. There was just no sign of it anywhere. The other fish didn't eat it, they were mostly smaller than it...except the pleco... we had a lid on the tank and everything. What could have happened?
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #13 
sampster5000

The pleco might have ate it after it died. They tend to do this if they are starving.
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #14 
MoePaac

I have a 12g with one betta, four cory schwartzii, one mystery snail (along with who knows how many trumpet snails), and today i added a few ghost shrimp. I've had this set up for a few weeks now and has worked well so far. It took a day or so for the cory's and betta to get used to each other, but now they pretty much ignore one another.

I really like the ghost shrimp I added today. Yes they are hard to see, but I think it's neat you can see what they have eaten. I only put a few of the biggest ones in the tank with the betta to see how they do, and I put 3 others in a spare 3 gallon that I have running. They are the only inhabitants along with some pond and trumpet snails. They are small, and a small bioload to go along with that. Something to consider!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #15 
frogipoi

Sadly, I don't have much space and I can't keep more fish unless I put it with my betta. My mom would like a fish that will help clean the tank but also a cute adorable one to love. So if you guys really say so (MY BETTA IS SPOILED!) lol I guess I will take the idea off my brain and just stay with my betta. I said best betta bud not why a betta should not have a bud. Again here I go, What is the best betta bud that will clean a bit and is fun to have? Please, no more Happier without a bud, just answer the question. I know mollies are a pain. Their waste is the worst! Eat their kids, what kind of parent are they? Worst than bettas! Guppies sound good to have in a separate tank, any tips? Post them on my thread "Guppies". Thanks to the people who gave some tips! Thanks and I might get some snails or shrimps.
*If you want to talk off topic, put* * on each side.*

Last edited by frogipoi; 07-19-2010 at 07:59 PM.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know you don't want to hear this again but bettas are really better off on their own. Having a "cleaner" fish doesn't mean that you don't have to clean the tank as often.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #17 
frogipoi

I know.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #18 
kakashikage

Not that I have any experience, but I have read a ton of internet stories about people trying to house bettas with other fish and it not going well. Granted, there also seem to be a lot of people who have done this successfully, but it's quite a risk to take. It seems like ghost shrimp are decent tankmates for bettas (mostly in that they tend to leave each other alone), in a large enough tank, although shrimp are not fish and aren't terribly pretty to look at. They are pretty cool, though...
Good luck on your quest for a cleaning betta-buddy!
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #19 
frogipoi

I think I will let the idea go... I don't want to stress Aurora so a betta will be fine... I will think a bit longer.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #20 
shmifty5

I'm going to disagree, most of my bettas (the few that have had a tank mate) seemed more lively and overall they shinned (they looked stunning, so much color), now granted I'm not a biologist or psychologist but my bettas definately did better when they had another living thing to look at and interact with, whether it be my mystery snails, my step-sister in laws tiger barb (I do regret this tho, her barb leaped from the tank one night and died, but despite what I've learned since then the barb was never biting and it actually huddled with the betta and attempted to school with him, he seemed less than thrilled, like an annoying kid brother), or my various shrimps and minnows, when I used white clouds as feeders for my cynops I housed them with my thrid male and he seemed to love swimming through them and he overall looked like he was having a 'gay ol time', he also loved my 3 mystery snails and would watch them while I was away, my shrimps also seemed to enjoy the bettas company (rare IMO) and they would follow him around and stay in his trunk.

Now I will say that bettas do vary and so do their tolerance of others, but all in all my bettas have enjoyed company and I would urge others to try out a tankmate, whether it be a single mystery snail or a pack of corydoras with a group of shrimp, besides that I doubt the betta will suffer any stress from having a weird snail in its home (I think a too close male neighbour might be more stressful for the guy).
shmifty5 is offline   Reply With Quote