Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

A half gallon isn't the most ideal home but it can be done if absolutely necessary. I had a betta that lived in a half gallon vase for 3.5 years. The thing about .5 gallons is that the water needs changed about every other day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #12 
frogipoi

I know. Such a pain.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #13 
jmtriro01

you will need a heater depending on where you live. in my country, it is hot all year long, except when it is raining or its Christmas season. but the water stays between 80 to 84 F anytime of the day.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #14 
frogipoi

Good.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #15 
lovetfk

thank you so much people jus keep posting so i can get some good ideas:) but thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!
lovetfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #16 
frogipoi

A natural tank has no filters (or a sponge filter), maybe a heater and lights. It would be 10 gallon tank with lots of live plants an smooth stones. A snail/shrimp or two and a betta. It would be like the wild except the cleaning periods. It would make your betta less stressed and would make him calm and happy. That is a natural tank.
A man-made tank would be 2.5 gallons or more with a filter, heating, and lights. It may have live plants, but not much. It would more likely to have plastic and silk plants. It might even have a bare bottom. A more stressed and aggressive betta may form here, but maybe not.
A horrible tank would be a small bowl or a cup with nothing else but water. That is boring.
I hope these ideas will help you. Remember to use water conditioner, age the water, and rinse all the stuff.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #17 
peaches3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
They definatly do require a heater. They're sensitive tropical fish that need to have their water temperature between 76-82 degrees. The filter is not needed but I HIGHLY recommend it since it makes the maintenance much easier. I'd recommend to get at least a 2.5 G tank at the least. But if can only get a 1G than make sure you keep up with the water changes. The bigger the tank the easier to manitain.
well, my house is kept very warm, like 74 degreese, but if your house is colder, a filter would be a good idea.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #18 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
well, my house is kept very warm, like 74 degreese, but if your house is colder, a filter would be a good idea.
Not sure if it was a typo but, what does a filter have to do with how cold my house is? And the reason why I said a heater is required is because in the winter the temp. drops and an extreme drop in temp or constant fluxuations can harm your fish. Besides, betta's water temp should usually be between 76-82 degrees.
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #19 
wallywestisthebest333

Smile

Well first of all may I reccomend the FAQ on this part of the forum. It will give you some general guidelines.

Yes a heater is needed. at least in my case. I live in the mid-Atlantic region and my house is somewhat cold so I need one.

About tank size and filter:

A 5 or 10 gallon would be nice because If you decide to get another betta you can divide it in 2 and keep another! =] Also if you got the 10 gallon and divided it in 2 you could have a small tank mate in each section. Such as shrimp or a snail.

A filter is always nice but I agree that you need one that is either adjustable or you need to read up on baffleing.

I got the 5 gallon kit at walmart (wishing I'd got the 10 gallon) and what I do to baffle my current is I put sponge inside the intake cage. I'm also considering putting it on the outside instead of the inside so it'll be more like an extra sponge filter in my tank. =]

Anyway I find that if I also add a plastic bottle baffle onto the HOB filter then it is the most effective baffling method for my tank. =]

Here are some thing's you'll ABSOLUTELY NEED:

Water Conditioner

Aquarium Salt

Thermometer

Quarantine/Hospital tank (1-3 gallons. whatever you feel is easiest to clean)

You probably already know this but when it comes to cycling then it's HIGHLY recommended that you get another container (1 or 2 gallons) as a temporary home for when your tank is cycling so that you don't risk poisoning your fish with ammonia. If you do the necessary water changes during a fish-in cycle then it wouldn't happen but everyone makes mistakes and if you don't watch it like a hawk something might happen. Better safe then sorry right? =]

You can cycle anything 2 gallons or up. You might be able to cycle a 1 gallon but I don't see the point as you'd still probably be doing multiple water changes per week. =/ The whole point of cycling is less water changes which means less stress for your fish. =]

Good luck! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #20 
frogipoi

^ Good! ^