Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #1 
betta4ever

Exclamation bloat/constipation

Help!! I've been on vacation for 3 night's and had my neighbor look after my fish tanks. i noticed a little bit of bloat on one of my betta's ,Twilight, a few day's before and started the fasting for 2 day's then a pea (etc.) I tried to get some frozen daphia but they won't have it for another week i have to leave tomorrow for another week ( they'll have daphia when i get back) but Twilight is STILL bloated I told my neighbor not to feed him then when i got back i stupidly fed him 3 pellet's then tonight i fed him some blood worms and peas ( cooked, de shelled etc.). he/ all is fed 3 Hikari betta Bio- gold pellets every Sunday,Monday,Wednesday and Saturday. On Tuesday it's peas, on Thursday I fast everybody then Friday it's blood worms. He's in a cycled, planted, heated 5 gallon. Anything to help?? I'll try to reply once i find a computer
betta4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #2 
Ajones108

Are the bloodworms freeze dried?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #3 
betta4ever

Ajones108: no they're frozen

I have now put him in those little cups they are in at the store and have that tied up so it floats at the top of his tank ( that way it's heated) lol no breeder traps. please help!!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #4 
Ajones108

On those Hikari pellets you use, what is the first ingredient? They recently had a formula change to where the first ingredient was wheat germ instead of a meat and bettas have a hard time digesting things like wheat.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #5 
betta4ever

Ya the first ingredients is wheat But the good news is* drum roll please*
POOP! there at the bottom of his little cup is a little brown turd I'll still fast him cause he is still fat but right before I saw poop i gave him a salt bath Do they really work that fast??????
Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #6 
Ajones108

You might want to get some different food for him. I recommend Atison's Betta Pellets or the Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. Hikari just doesn't live up to expectations anymore and these two pellets will be much better for your betta along with those little bloodworms as treats :)
Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #7 
Adastra

Personally I would stop feeding him completely until the bloat is all the way gone. Feeding him more would only contribute to his digestive stress--even though he pooped, he probably has a bit more to still work out of his system.

Also, if the fish is the one in the bowl in your avatar, then it would seem that he does not have a heater--am I right? If so, this is probably a significant factor in your fish's digestive problems, stable warm temperatures of 78-83 degrees are essential to betta health. Because bettas are cold-blooded, their entire metabolism depends on temperature--in colder temperatures, digestion slows, exacerbating bloating and constipation problems.

I agree with changing the food around a bit, Hikari does fall short where nutrition is concerned. You should also soak the pellets in a little tank water before giving them to your fish--fish bodies were not made to eat dry, bready, air-filled foods. It's kind of like when we eat uncooked rice--it expands in the stomach and doesn't feel good at all.

For now, I would consider buying a good heater with an adjustable dial if you don't have one, and keep fasting him until the swelling is gone. Also, you should try getting your betta to flare a few times a day--I know this sounds odd, but the flaring motion has an uncanny poop-ousting effect. I'm guessing it requires the fish to flex the "abdominal" muscles which pushes the poop along its merry way. Trust me, it helps!

Last edited by Adastra; 07-15-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Adastra, I love your advice. LOL. You're like a book of knowledge, it's awesome. If you don't have a heater, here's the one I ordered, and is coming in... Sunday I believe.

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...8&pcatid=11368

:) In the first post they said that the 5 gallon was heated but left out the temperature. But there's a heater if you need one. :D
Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 
Adastra

I have a tendency to speed read and miss details, especially if they leave the important bit 'til the end--sorry about that. Oh well, if someone without a heater reads my post, perhaps it will be helpful to them. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #10 
Ajones108

I learned something new, lol. Now I know if my betta gets bloated before Sunday its because his tank is staying at 76 and he's still on freeze-dried bloodworms soaked before fed. The new food comes in Friday and the heater Sunday, but hes still lively and follows my finger around the outside of the tank, so its all good. :)