Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Help!!

Help my baby boy Jas is sick or dying, I just woke up and i saw him not moving so i pocked him and the poor boy was breathing and tying to swim and just floating there under water looked like if i didn't prop him up he would drown.

Anyways i panicked went to grab the syphon and the water change bucket and lowered the water level, thought better and put him in his small hospital tank.

What can i do ..now....
im not working today so im just planing now to just sit with him till he's better....
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #2 
XSprinkleFaceX

*bump*
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #3 
XSprinkleFaceX

keep me updated on how he's doing!
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

ok
Old 07-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #5 
frogipoi

Poor Jas! How old? May god bless his little soul...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Good that you got him in a QT with a lower water level.....
A few questions,
How big was his tank and the QT tank, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one, filtration, live plants, additives used if any, water temp, what kind and how much food.
How long have you had him and has he been sick lately or treated for anything, any changes recently.
What other symptom beside being lethargic, like not eating, flashing, swelling etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

Wow alot of question's *lol* but that's ok..
His tank is a 2.5g MiniBow and the QT tank is that 1/2g thing

I did a weekly 50% water change on the 2.5g and i plan to do a every day water change on the QT tank, just cup him and dump the old water and put in some new water,
the last water change on the 2.5g was last thursday

There is a filter on the 2.5g, I had just gotten the live plants and he got sick a couple day's later
Hornwort and Duckweed
I took th 2.5 outside took it all apart and rinse till all the grass was out, now it's filtering and waiting till Jasper get's better

no additives for a long time, just water conditioner
water temp. is at around a steady 80*

I have two kinds of pellets, they are not in their original package so i dunno,
1 pellet everyday, wenesday is fast day
week-ends: flakes
every once in a while: 1 or 2 bloodworms, brine shrimp and krill

I had him for 11 months now, on august 5th will be a year

I thought he had ick once on his chin, but not lately, and i treated that with aquarium salt
i think he did not like the plants i put in, invading his space *lol* he staid in a corner most of the time and kept acting like he was getting caught in the plants when he swam around

He's not eating, laying on his side alot, floating upright ..
what is flashing...
he's not swollen
Old 07-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like you are doing a great job as far as husbandry, I would maybe increase the water changes to 50% twice weekly in the 2.5g...but other than that awesome care...

Now to your sick Betta, flashing is when a fish rubs itself on objects in the tank, like when itchy.

In the Qt tank keep doing the 100% daily water changes with the dechlorinator as you are already doing, it could be age related but, he is not that old...but sometimes depending on many factors it could be and all you can do is keep him comfy, you ruled out the environment with the new water changes and he is still lethargic and not eating.

Since he is not bloated but yet still sitting on the bottom, I would try Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with your daily 100% water changes and if you have either Indian almond leaf or oak leaf I would add that too, get the water dark with the tannins, I like to get a 1g jug and pre-mix my salt and add the leaf to help make the water changes and salt dosage easier, cover the top with a plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid, keep the water level low, no food or filter and turn off the lights and/or cover the bowl with a towel or something to provide him with peace and quiet.
Hopefully he will perk up in a day or so...but if not, know you did everything that could be done and you provided great care....

Other option are to start antibiotic, however, I am not an advocate of them and do not use them, if you do opt to use find a broad spectrum to cover both gram neg and pos.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

well he does look better then this morning, he likes the shallow water, twice now when i went to check on him, he swam laps around the bowl but is gasping by the time he's done, he's fighting it whatever it is
it's not for nothing i call him my demented fish, he'll keep fighting even on his deathbed

and he's ghastly pale tho, he's been pale for a while now, but he's still my 'lil baby and i love him but i do miss his blue

thankz
all i have to do is get IAL

is epsom salt aquarium salt.... can i use aquarium salt... do i leave him in the salt all day

Last edited by JaspersANGEL; 07-18-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #10 
peaches3221

awww, poor jasper! keep the water very clean! get well soon jasper!

Last edited by peaches3221; 07-18-2010 at 07:00 PM.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote