Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #1 
Raichou

Bubble curtains

I recently got a 30 gallon tall tank...I'm doing a fishless cycle in it currently.

Because I've always wanted a bubble curtain, I installed one in the back of the tank. It looked great for about 3 days, but this morning I woke up to a strange pulsing noise. It was dark, but I fiddled around with the power on the motor anyway. Next thing I knew, there were no more bubbles.

I unplugged it, and sure enough, there was water in the air hose. I lot...like maybe it was completely flooded. I took everything out and set it out to dry.

Any idea what happened, and what I was doing wrong? I'm sure it was a user error. :(
Raichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichou View Post
I recently got a 30 gallon tall tank...I'm doing a fishless cycle in it currently.

Because I've always wanted a bubble curtain, I installed one in the back of the tank. It looked great for about 3 days, but this morning I woke up to a strange pulsing noise. It was dark, but I fiddled around with the power on the motor anyway. Next thing I knew, there were no more bubbles.

I unplugged it, and sure enough, there was water in the air hose. I lot...like maybe it was completely flooded. I took everything out and set it out to dry.

Any idea what happened, and what I was doing wrong? I'm sure it was a user error. :(
Could you go on your paint program and draw us a general idea (using the rectangle and line tools) of how your tank, air pump, and air hose was set up?

I couldn't help unless I know how you had your hose and everything set up.

Also did you have a gang valve? If not you should get one. they prevent flooding. =]

I have an AQUA Culture air pump and mine came with instructions, do's and don'ts, and depictions of proper and improper setups. =] It's likely your type of air pump came with similar instructions if you bought it new.

If you got it used you could try going to the manufacturer's website and searching for instructions there. =]

Just re-read the pamphlet that came with your air pump and see if you have a set up similar to one of the "DON'T DO THIS" setups.

If you do, then reset your set-up to be like one of the approved ones. =]

Hope I helped. =] Good luck with it! =] Though I might advise you to only use the curtain for cycling purposes as most bettas don't like the bubbles or current generated by air stones and bubble curtains. Yours might like it though, you never know! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #3 
Raichou

There she is. I'm actually not planning on keeping betta in the 30 gallon...I keep Gabe in the 10. The 10 only has the filter stirring up the water...that's it. I figured I'd ask here anyway, since someone was bound to know. :)

I've seen gang valves, but I've never looked into them. I'm not sure how they work, but it sounds like a good investment if it does prevent flooding.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichou View Post

There she is. I'm actually not planning on keeping betta in the 30 gallon...I keep Gabe in the 10. The 10 only has the filter stirring up the water...that's it. I figured I'd ask here anyway, since someone was bound to know. :)

I've seen gang valves, but I've never looked into them. I'm not sure how they work, but it sounds like a good investment if it does prevent flooding.
OH! I got the name of the device wrong! It's a check valve! Not a gang valve! Those are 2 different valves! >.< Sorry!

Where it says gang valve in the pic it should say check valve!

Here's a recreation of my pamphlet about setting up your airpump.

I think you're the no on there. There were other no's but that was my best guess as to what you did wrong.

My airpump came with a check valve in the box. it's a little cylander with two spiggots on the end (similar to the spigot on the end of your bubble curtain) just cut your tubing a little ways down the wall of your tanks and put check valves in there and you shouldn't have any problems in the future. =]

If yours didn't come with one they sell blue ones at walmart where the airstones and bubble curtains are. =] It'll say check valve on the packaging. =]

Hope this was helpful!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #5 
Raichou

Ok, I looked and I actually do have a check valve! :) I also got another length of airline tubing and I've got it all set up now. Hopefully the bubbles will pick up soon, though...they look pretty weak right now.

Thanks so much for the help! :)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

You're welcome! =] Hope everything works out for you! =]