Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #11 
CodeRed

You're living my dream xD I've always wanted a draft horse... they're so huge, but they're gorgeous...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #12 
Betta Slave

Thank you guys

Of course, again, this will be in a few years. Oh well, that gives me more time to look up on it!

Have any of your heard of Akhal-Tekes? I love them. Does anyone know what their tempermants are like? I know it kind of depends on the horse, yes, but are they like Arabians? Thoroughbreds? (Highstrung?)

Last edited by Betta Slave; 07-19-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #13 
TheJadeBetta

Have any of your heard of Akhal-Tekes? I have, and they are a Hot-Blooded Breed like an Arabian.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #14 
xswornxoffxjello

My horse is part-Draft and part QH. As a matter of fact, all the horses I've ever ridden are QHs. (My family doesn't own a ranch, but my town is divided into 2 sections: military and ranching.) Other than that, just like everyone else has said, go for a laid-back older gelding. :)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #15 
Alexanderismylife

Fresions are great horses :] I've ridden rideing Fjords before and they are pretty easy riders :]
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #16 
Betta Slave

Thank you
I so far I like Shire horses, Fjord horses, Auxois, Clydesdales, Belgian drafts... I could go on and on. XD

I know it's a little too early to even think about getting a horse yet, but... it's nice to dream. And I'll have an idea of what I'd like when the time comes, I suppose.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #17 
Neelie

unfortunetly the fancy horses are usually the most awkward ones....

friesians (carriage horses), fjord & haflinger (working mountain ponys), arabians (through the desert transportation) etc are beautiful but all wrong in the head and difficult to handle most of the time if not used for their sole purpose... you'd have to be VERY lucky to find a reliable one fo recreational purposes...

if you want a beginners horse thats safe and will give you some confidence id go for a solid, older quarter horse. that would be my #1 choice.. they are of all breeds that pop into my head atm the soundest.

otherwise, if you have any way of finding any, a mature irish connemara pony are ideal starters.

shires and clydesdale are no riding horses.. they are cart and carriage horses like friesians and their gaits are awful for riding. the belgians are working horses also. no pleasure for riding really.

im sorry to say this but id stay well clear of horses with firey temperments and fancy looks as a beginner. all you want is a pony thats safe and easy to handle. it'll only caus you hardship otherwise.

Last edited by Neelie; 07-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #18 
SaylorKennedy

Whoa, I thought that horse was a statue for a second.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #19 
Betta Slave

Thank you Neelie I kind of thought that, it makes sense, but I will try to look for a fancy-ish horse that is easy to handle, if possible. If I can't find any, I'll just go with a quarter horse. XD

lol SK. When I first saw the pic, I thought it was a statue for a second too.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #20 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Slave View Post
Thank you Neelie I kind of thought that, it makes sense, but I will try to look for a fancy-ish horse that is easy to handle, if possible. If I can't find any, I'll just go with a quarter horse. XD
well if you really want to go for a high bred horse then maybe you should just take riding lessons for a few months and take a summer job in a riding stable. then you'd be more able to handle a more tempermental horse.
otherwise, like i said, an old quarter horse (or a paint horse if you like color) that will give you confidence. its very important. when your ready to move on you can... nothing worse than having a horse you cant handle, trust me!!!!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote