Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #21 
BlueHaven

That's so cool. I hope you find a horse that will work great for you!
I love horses, ever since I was little. I hope to own one someday!
Some of my favorite breeds are the Noriker (Heavy Horse), the Arabian, and the Orliv Trotter, The Quarter horse and the Pinto. If I got a horse though, I wouldn't be as picky of their breed, I'd want to get one that would be happy with me most. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #22 
Zoelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post

Stay away from high strung breeds like Thoroughbreds, Arabians, Paso Finos, etc.
I have to disagree about Arabians being "high strung". Like someone said above, it depends on the horse. I own an arabian mare that I have had since she was 3 and green broke, and she's the calmest horse ever. I know tons of arabians and they are all super well behaved, same goes with Thoroughbreds. Stinks a few bad apples give a breed a bad rap
Zoelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #23 
1fish2fish

They can be well behaved but everything I've ever seen about them lists them as high strung. They tend to be prancy and use up a lot of their energy. I don't think they're bad horses.. probably not the best for a beginner though, same goes for Thoroughbreds.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #24 
Little Marlin

I had a half Tennessee walker half something else. We got him when he was 15 or so years old. He had people who shot deer off his back and rode him up the mountain. He was smooth to. And he was so well trained a 6yr. olds rode him bareback. I miss Blue...
Little Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #25 
AnimeFish

Horses are individuals like all of us. Breed/bloodline does have some affect on their personality, but it is mostly the personal training and experiences that makes the horse what it is. I wouldn't go by "this horse is lazy because it's a Quarter horse" or "stay away from arabs or throughbreds because they will run off if you are inexperienced."

I've ridding lazy throughbreds that would rather walk and had young beginners on them. To quarter horses that all you need is just need to cluck and hold on. Just go out and ride as many types of horses when possible. That makes you a better rider when you have handled different personalities. You maybe surprised on what kind of horse you like. You might like the lazy kind or the more eager going ones.

Again just don't go by the breed, go by the individual horse.
AnimeFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #26 
JKfish

:P You make me miss my riding lessons.

In my opinion haflingers, thoroughbreds, and quarters are awesome horses, but like everyone else says, an older horse is best, and the breed has only a bit to do with it, because personality has the most to do with which horse would be best for you. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #27 
Inga

Of course every horse is an individual but some of the breeds I used for beginners were Morgans, Quarter horses, Halflinger's etc...

Horses are amazing animals, there is nothing more fabulous then being able to ride across a field or through the woods and see a bunch of wildlife.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #28 
amberjade

It's really important to get a horse that likes you, too! If an animal doesn't bond with you, there isn't much hope for a good relationship. Personality and training is really what matters more than breed, IMO. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
amberjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #29 
Tzankuhok

Well, as has been said before there is no one breed that is best for a beginner. It depends on what you are comfortable with, in size, and breed. If you are uncomfortable with a horse and only riding it based off of what may be best for someone else then chances are it won't go well because if you aren't calm and comfortable chances are the horse won't be either.
In the end it is your preference, just remember that like every Betta fish is different in temperament, so too is every horse. And it is imperative that you see, and interact with the horse before you get it, just in case it isn't a good match.
Tzankuhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #30 
ClassicCharm

Horse people!! I didn't know there were horse people here!

As others have said, when it comes to buying, don't even think about what breed the horse is. For a beginner's horse, it's quite likely you'll end up with a mixed breed, which is perfectly fine as long as it's healthy, a suitable size for you, an easy-going temperament, and trained to be bomb-proof.

Chances are, unless you're buying a show horse, you're not going to be buying a specific breed, unless it's common like a thoroughbred or a quarter horse. Unless you go to a specialty breeder, you won't be getting a mustang or a fjord.

My biggest piece of advice: get yourself a good reliable coach to help you find your horse. A coach will be able to find you something suitable in your price range. They'll be able to make sure you get all the necessary paperwork, and make sure you have the animal vetted before you buy it.

Having a horse is an enormous commitment, but sooo worth the time and patience.

My horses are all rescues (they came from the meat auction). One is a 3/4 arab, 1/4 morgan gelding (we met old owners at a show and got the info haha), one is a paint mare, and one is a paint/mixed pony gelding (though he was a stud when we got him).
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote