Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #31 
Betta Slave

Thank you all for the info!

You're right, it is best to not think about breeds. I'll just find a horse that I bond with, Bomb-proof, knows what to do, etc.

I have two coaches, actually, so I won't have any trouble with that.

Thanks again, everyone!
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #32 
Hopeful

I'll start off by saying I am only an intermediate rider.

I had three beginner horses the first two I didnt own. A bay mustang mare that was about 20 now deceased. My second was a Morgan stallion about 25 years old now deceased. My last beginner horse is my girl Payden who is 6 year old APHA.

All three were amazing I would never suggest a stallion for a beginner he was very calm and level headed bomb proof and trained by the natural horsemanship method.

I would suggest Morgans myself if you like the fancier body build. I have not met a temperamental Morgan in my life and I have met a lot of them. This dosent mean that there arent any out there. But personality aside they have wonderful gaits, strong builds that can take you anywhere, and short to the ground.

I think the number one thing to look at is their training and how the owner handles the horse. Because a trainer can make the horse but it only takes one bad owner to break them. You don't have to mistreat an animal to sour it.
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #33 
Drift

I think you got a lot of good advice here from everyone. Don't worry about the breed, look at price, health, experience, and get to know the current owner and why they're selling their horse.
You could also look for a rescue too. The one we have locally is awesome and lists what type of rider would be best suited and how well trained they are and health problems, etc. Plus you would be helping save a life. :)
Although, if I was rich I would own several Gypsy Vanner's shipped from Ireland. :D! Ahhh, just need to win the lottery.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #34 
Betta Slave

Unfortunately, there are no rescue horses in/around my area, but there are plenty of breeders (curlies, fjords, gypsies, etc.)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #35 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I would stay away from younger horses IMO a good beginner horse should be 10 years old or more. They still have a lot of get up and go but are less prone to freaking out. Keep in mind that a well cared for horse can live up to 30+ years and still be ridden. If you got a well broken ~10 year old horse you could theoretically have a great companion for another 20 years. Not to mention an "older" horse will probably be cheaper and more "bomb proof" (even though technically there is no such thing).

I have to say, older horses aren't necessarily calmer. I ride a ~20 y/o horse. It's funny when someone new is watching my lesson, because he's really hard to control. If it was up to him he'd gallop all day or until he couldn't anymore. And so after I finish my lesson with him, I can go up and casually say, "And isn't it amazing, he's actually 20!"

Then there used to be a lesson horse who everyone thought was about 20...until he started losing teeth, which the dentist said horses don't usually start losing till they're 30! Yet here he was, at 30, taking off on trail rides and refusing to stop cantering.

I could go on and on about the old horses that don't act their age but I won't. It really just depends on the individual horse, like has been said before. Really, if you're looking for horses, you have to ride the ones you're looking at and then decide. One of the boarders where I ride rode over a hundred horses before she found the one she has now. Just keep looking!
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #36 
frogipoi

I don't have a horse but I wish I did! I ridden on one called Irish and he was fun! But i quit...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote