Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #1 
KBoone

Ack! I Jinxed Myself!

So, I went on vacation last-week, leaving all of my animals in the care of my cousin's college-age daughter. Everyone was fine accept for my poor, little blue HM. His plant had rotted in his bowl. You can imagine, after a week. . . I was so furious that she didn't think to change the water. Just left me a note saying, "I fed the fish, but their water seems kind of dirty." >_< By the time I'd got to him, he was barely moving, emaciated and had lost most of his color! Horrible!

SEVERAL water changes later and some ICH+ (noticed when he did swim, there was a lot of darting and general neurotic behavior.) For the most part, he seems fine now. He's gotten his color back and his breathing is more normal. He's eating. He's a little more timid than normal (think that's from all the water changes. I catch him swimming around when I walk into the kitchen, but he immediately hides in his NEW plant when he sees me. ) I haven't noticed any lesions or such on him, BUT. . . His anal fin is curling.

I looked it up and what I found said that it is normal after trama and not really anything to worry about if everything else is alright. Is this correct?

Thanks!
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #2 
KBoone

Bump!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 
KBoone

Seriously? Nothing? Everytime I google it I get pics of badly bred Bettas and articles on fin rot. I need someone to tell me I'm being paranoid! Pllllease!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #4 
kuklachica

Fins can curl due to poor water quality. This could be the reason. It may not uncurl, however.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #5 
KBoone

Thank you! I'm cool with a curly fin. NOT cool with a rotting one.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #6 
kuklachica

Just keep an eye on it though. Make sure you don't see any fuzzy stuff or pieces of it coming off.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 
KBoone

I haven't noticed anything. But I'm doing daily water changes with some AQ salt just incase though. He's eating and other than being completely freaked-out from my intial freak-out when I saw his water (He now hides everytime I enter the room. ) he seems fine. He's eating and his color's returned. Think we're on the tail-end of any crisis.