Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #1 
kakashikage

Question Traveling with my Betta

I have a betta in a one-gallon tank, but I am house-sitting for some friends for a week, and I want to know if it would be safe to bring him with me. He has traveled before, I brought him home from a wedding I attended (they wanted to flush him!) and it was a three-hour drive. This trip will be three and a half hours and I intend to take his tank with me so when we get there he will have his normal home environment. I have the betta cup that he came in, my plan is to fill that with water from his tank and put him in there for the journey (because that will fit in my cupholder and it keeps him from getting sloshed around too much), then when we arrive I can move him back into the tank. Will this be too stressful for him? I love Amadeus (the betta) and I really don't want to do anything that will hurt him!
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #2 
Ajones108

I traveled with my betta for 45 minutes but he was in his 2.5 gallon tank. If I were to re-live that day I would have stuck him in his cup. I don't see anything wrong with taking him with you, but you would have to keep close eye on the temperature so he doesn't go into shock. IMO, anything below 76 degrees and higher than 82 degrees is too extreme for a betta.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #3 
kakashikage

Thank you so much for your advice! I have a little thermometer that I use in his tank that I think I can use to keep an eye on the temp while he's in the cup.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 
RandomFish

If you really want your betta to travel in comfort, you might want to check out the method used for shipping them:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=26589&page=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6i3-SbZwMc

Your betta won't have to go through temperature fluctuations and won't be bumped against the side of a cup.

Have a safe trip! :)
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 
frogipoi

I heard bettas can only take 1-4 hour drives. Bumps and turns will be a huge hazard. There are betta vacation feeders. It will stress him a bit, being back in that cup and all but he should be fine.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #6 
kakashikage

I was worried about things like bumps and turns; luckily, this is a drive I have made hundreds of times, and I'm very familiar with all the places where there are hazards like that, so I'm hoping that slowing down at those areas will help. There are also little detours I can make onto less bumpy roads, so the drive might be slightly longer, but I think Amadeus will be more comfortable.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #7 
frogipoi

I hope he isn't to stressed after the drive! Amadeus will dislike the hazards you can't avoid but I am pretty sure he will live. My betta survived an one hour trip and was happy to be home. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #8 
Campbell

I honestly wouldn't put the fish through that if you are only going to be gone a week. If you do a 100% water change before you leave it should be fine. Bettas can easily go a week with out food, but you could put a small piece of wafer or something if you're not comfortable with that.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #9 
frogipoi

Or the vacation feeders to feel safer.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
Or the vacation feeders to feel safer.
Yeah. The wafers tend to cloud up the water, but I've had bad luck with the automatic feeders dispensing way to much food. IMO, I know my fish are well feed and healthy, and bettas can actually go around 3 weeks with out food. For these reasons I wouldn't even bother, and I would just look at it as a long fast. But it's up to the owner.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveling, vacation