Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #1 
Pixierella

Red face My Breeding Tank

I'm so hoping that I can get my breeding tank tomorrow, I have to wait and see if it's still available, it's a 20G Long. I'm gonna take my time setting it up with live plants and such. I also have found some great food that I've been looking at for Conditioning of the male and female. I've done a lot of reading research and asked a lot of questions from the people local that I know about the subject. As far as what I'll be breeding, I'm getting a Halfmoon Plakat female from Thailand. She's not here yet :( and I will have to make sure I give her time to adjust to the new surroundings and home before I start conditioning her to breed. I've decided to couple her with one of my crowntails. They are both colored completely differently from each other so I'm hoping to get some very unique and different color mixtures in some hopefully good looking crowntails. I understand that because she is not a CT that not all of the spawn will get that gene but I really want to try and get some eclectic color patterns and see what comes up. Probably won't be ready to breed for another month :( but I am looking forward to seeing what the fry look like at about 3 months :) Gonna be a lot of babies eating yummy mosquito larva and brine shrimp eggs and all kinds of fun stuff :P Even if it's only a few fry, if I even get a spawn on the first go round I'll be happy :) That and both male and female making completely through the process :)
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #2 
Adastra

I hate to burst your bubble, but you will get neither crowntails nor will you get any plakats. The long fin gene is dominant over the plakat gene--and crowntail is co-dominant with long fin. So every fry will look like a normal veil tail but with small amounts of web reduction. This tail type is called a comb tail--sadly this is not the most desirable fish.

The babies will likely be multicolors. If you post pictures or describe the two I could probably guess what you would get. Personally, I would wait until you get a male that is more suited to your female so that you can have a specific goal in mind when you're breeding instead of just covering up all the female's recessive genes that a breeder painstakingly brought to the surface over many generations.

You should really give this site a good read: http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics.htm it will help you find a goal and determine what characteristics you should look for in a male in order to accomplish that goal.
This is another helpful source: http://bettysplendens.com/articles/c....imp?catid=864

Last edited by Adastra; 07-20-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #3 
Pixierella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but you will get neither crowntails nor will you get any plakats. The long fin gene is dominant over the plakat gene--and crowntail is co-dominant with long fin. So every fry will look like a normal veil tail but with small amounts of web reduction. This tail type is called a comb tail--sadly this is not the most desirable fish.
I was talking with a local who knows quite a bit about breeding and fish and he told me that I could have as much as half of the fry turn out to be crowntail. The other reasons I'm breeding the two is because she is a sturdy female and my male is quite active. I'm not breeding just to get CTs, mostly I'm using good healthy strong fish to use for my first time for spawning. If I don't get any crowntails then so be it, that isn't the main reason. Mostly it's for color combinations and that they are strong enough to make it through it since spawning is energy consuming for the fish. Getting a spawn in general is more important to me then what the fry end up looking like and I already have 7 males, I'm not going to get any more until I start getting some spawning from the ones that I have.

Last edited by Pixierella; 07-20-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #4 
KBoone

Pixierella, I am a collector and , by no means, pretend to know a lot about breeding. But I have been doing a lot of reasearch at the urging of my husband because he believes it's the most logical thing to do since I seem to want so many dang fish.

But here is what I do know from my research. . .

Adastra is absolutely right in saying you need a definitive goal before you start. Figure that out and THEN start looking for fish.

Once you figure-out your goal, research, research, research! There is a whole lot more to breeding the Betta you desire than just putting two colors you like together? How did the two you are breeding come about? What is their pedigree? By knowing these things, you will have fewer "surprises."

From what I can tell, it is best to find a reputable breeder that has a sibling pair with most of the traits you like. You breed these for several generation until you have consistency and then you can begin introducing new traits while still keeping in mind the genetic history of the new breeding stock.

That's just the start! The more I research this, the more excited I get. It's like a big ol' puzzle and I love me a good puzzle! But it's not uncomplicated in the least. You want to try to breed THE BEST BETTAS! Not just A Betta. Remember, you are going to have to find a great deal of homes for your future spawn and the better the quality of the fish, the easier this is going to be.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #5 
Adastra

Betta genetics are very well documented, so you should be able to learn a lot just from a little reading around. Given that these bettas will be a bit hard to place, you might want to remove the female before she has released all her eggs so that the spawn stays smaller and more manageable. Have you decided what you're going to feed the fry?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #6 
Pixierella

Quote:
Have you decided what you're going to feed the fry?
There are a few different things. I'm looking into setting up a 5 gallon bucket in our back yard (only to collect mosquito eggs not to spawn in) because we live in a bit of a marshy area and mosquitos run rampant in all of the back yard (which is quite big) except for close to the house so I'm thinking mosquito eggs, I've read where some people have even spawned in a rain water bucket, thought it was different but not for me, but I can at least use it to collect eggs and yes I have read that you need to be cautious about dragon fly larvae because they'll eat the fry :( . I've also looked into getting a brine ship hatchery (I found out how to grow them and make sure the shells do not go in the breeding tank) and also discovered that you can run freeze dried bloodworms through a very dense metal sifter and turn it into a powder that is fine enough for the fry to be able to chow down on, also found some non-hatching brine shrimp eggs from a breeder for the adults and the fry eventually when they get a little bigger. As well as a good selection of frozen and live food that are really close to where I live so going to pick something up isn't an issue. I've heard of people using cultures but I think I'll have enough of other foods that I may not have to do that. It's gonna take me at least a month probably to set the tank up not to mention the conditioning, courtship so forth so I'll have more time to look some more things before I actually attempt or succeed in a spawning. I do like that idea of taking the female out before she expends all of her eggs though :) That probably would be a very good idea since I am a beginner at breeding and until I get more practiced at it :)
Old 07-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #7 
KBoone

I had read somewhere that breeders in Thailand are very fond of cooked egg yolk for feeding the spawn. Simple and easy to come-by.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #8 
Adastra

Babies tend to respond best to live food because of the instinct to chomp on things that wiggle. I have heard that people have had great success with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs--but your best bet is probably to start with live vinegar eels and maybe egg yolk (you cook it, take a small piece and crush it into powder, and mix with water, spray it on the surface with a spray bottle), then move up to baby brine shrimp and your various ground up microwafers.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #9 
Pixierella

Question

Quote:
your best bet is probably to start with live vinegar eels and maybe egg yolk (you cook it, take a small piece and crush it into powder, and mix with water, spray it on the surface with a spray bottle), then move up to baby brine shrimp and your various ground up microwafers.
I had forgotten about those, they're really inexpensive too :) as far as cooking egg yolk...there are several ways to cook an egg, which one were you referring to? Frying (without oil I would imagine) baking (kinda funny but it works), poaching, or hard boiled?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #10 
Adastra

Oh, you boil it, rofl. You usually only use vinegar eels for the first week or so, then switch to baby brine.