Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 AM   #1 
RustyGuy

Question I guess he's a mister grumpy gills?

I came home late tonight (around 11:45pm) and turned on the lights and went to feed Walter. It appears as if he was sleeping and I guess he didn't want to be woken up... he wouldn't eat any of his food and mostly stayed at the bottom of the tank, moving behind various objects and plants. He would only come to the surface for a breath and even then he would jet up there and then jet back down.

I turned off most of the lights and now he's acting more normally. I suppose I'll try not to disturb him from now on if he's gone to bed.

I also ran some tests on the water, as he's in a new tank and I thought it might have something to do with ammonia or what not, however the water tested low for NH, NO2, and NO3. Also the PH is at 7.2, which is a little higher than I'd like it but not high enough to concern me.

I suspect he might also be a little bored of his food, I'll go to the store tomorrow and get him a treat.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Does anyone else's fish get flustered if the lights come on at night?
RustyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

Well yeah!!! How would YOU feel if some big giant came & woke you up from a sound sleep???? I bet you would be grumpy, too!!! I know I would be!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #3 
XSprinkleFaceX

Lol! My fish is the same too. He won't even swim to me if I turn on the lights while its bedtime or will swim to me, flare and than swim to his cave. That's why I keep all lights on until I feed him at night and than I turn it off. lol
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #4 
RustyGuy

He's better behaved this morning, but he's still not eating.
He'll try his food and then spit it out. ...I'm going out in a few minutes to buy him something he might enjoy more.

lol; I'm glad to hear his behavior is normal.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #5 
RustyGuy

Yikes; so I got home some new food, but he's still not eating! He nibbled a little of it and just wont have any more. He still try's his old food and spits it out right away.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #6 
Phether

When I walk up to the tank while he's sleeping he will notice me and swim towards me to say hi. Doesn't matter if he's sleeping or not, but he'll always come to greet me :]
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #7 
XSprinkleFaceX

RustyGuy when did you get your fish? Sometimes new fish don't eat because they're adjusting to their new homes. Mine didnt eat for 3 days and than started eating.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #8 
RustyGuy

I got him last week from a friend who had to give him up, however I moved him to a new tank (larger, filtered, and heated) just the other day. He was eating fine at first but since last night has stopped... I suppose it could be an adjustment period.

I'll keep monitoring closely... hopefully he'll start eating soon!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #9 
XSprinkleFaceX

Yah that's what it was.
Btw. MY mr. grumpy gills (i love that name) didn't eat his dinner. I turned off his tank light because I did a 100% WC today for his torn fin and the water was a bit warm for my liking, and than I went out. Got home and he won't eat his food because he was in his sleeping trance around the tank...
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #10 
RustyGuy

out of curiosity, what temperature is to your liking? I'm aiming for 26C (80F).

The strange thing is that I've got the heater set to 24C (76F) and I'm still reading 28C (83F).

I know I'm only off by a matter of a couple degrees... I just find it odd that my heater is set so low, but the water stays so warm. ...I s'pose I should test the thermometer and make sure its accurate. lol

Oh, also Walter is eating selectively now. He'll pick at the Betta flakes I bought him today, as well as the freeze dried blood worms. Still no luck with his pellets however.

The fish expert at petsmart today (who apparently is a betta enthusiast) also suggested I try and catch some fruit flies and get them in the water. The movement of the fly would grab his attention and he'd probably enjoy the snack. ...not sure how I'd catch a fruit fly and get it in the water though.