Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #1 
newfiedragon

Question LED lights for plants

Does anyone know if LED lights are good for keeping live plants healthy?
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

I don't know as I have never tried it, but I don't think LED would throw enough light.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 
akjadestar

I think you need a fluorescent light to maintain plants...
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #4 
Adastra

Actually LED lights are probably going to be the next big thing for keeping planted and marine tanks. They produce the broadest spectrum of light and they are energy efficient and don't throw nearly as much heat as fluorescents or metal halides do. The problem is that in order to get LEDs that are powerful enough to beat out a fluorescent, you usually have to have a custom made fixture or you have to shell out a lot of cash. I think eventually LEDs are probably going to be one of the best options, but the technology just isn't there yet to make them cost effective. My brother has one of those LED strips on his reef tank, but I'm disappointed with it--his corals would do better with a T5HO fluorescent fixture because the LEDs aren't very powerful. If you just have one of those itty bitty LED fixtures that came with the tank, I wouldn't expect it to cut the mustard.

I have a few tanks that didn't come with lights, but I overcame that by getting a floor lamp from target for like $20--it has a lot of heads on the top that you can position any way you want. Put a fluorescent bulb in each of the heads and point it at the tank--just make sure it is far enough away that it won't heat the tank.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #5 
JKfish

(sorry if I'm hijacking your thread... ^^; )

Wait, so if I got the 10 gallon tank kit from walmart with the fluorecent lights for the hood, should I not use them, because when I turned the lights on to see if they worked, I did notice that they made a lot of heat...
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #6 
Adastra

Regular fluorescents should be fine. T5HO fluorescents run hotter, especially if you're comparing them to LEDs.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #7 
KBoone

Actually, the flourescent lights that come with the "kits" usually aren't the proper spectrum for plants. You need to get a buld specially made for plants, full spectrum light.

And then I notice your post had nothing to do with plants. D'oh!

Flourescents will always give less heat than an incandescent, so yes, they are safe.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #8 
JKfish

Kboone: .... if it's white light, then it has the whole spectrum, so basically everything I should need for the plants. The specially made ones are very expensive, and I'm hoping the few hardy plants I'll put in there will be alright.

People are allowed to stray slightly away from topics, it won't kill a person. Besides, it is related. If the lights got hot enough, and heated the water too much, obviously that'd be bad for fish, and for plants. :P There is no need to be rude, it was completely unecessary.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #9 
KBoone

JK, you are incorrect. I used to raise reptiles and worked as a technician at an exotic animal clinic. There is a vast difference regarding spectrum with flourescent bulbs. Though flourescents do generate a much broader spectrum than an incandescent, each spectrum (UVA and UVB) of light can vary several degrees depending on the bulb. The regular flourescents that come in the kits often lack the proper UVB needed for plant and animal care.

Here is a descent article on flourescents and their characteristics. . . http://members.misty.com/don/f-spec.html

P.S.
You can find a relatively inexpensive "plant" light at Walmart. These are what I use, as the ones you can buy at pet stores for aquariums and reptiles can be rather pricey.

Last edited by KBoone; 07-21-2010 at 09:10 PM.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #10 
JKfish

Okay, though I didn't understand everthing in the article, I got most of it. Point proven :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to stop by walmart sometime soon.

Tags
led lights for plants