Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 
BunniesLair

Fish -and- Betta Noob

Hi, I have been reading through the forum care FAq’s etc and I still have some questions.

First let me say – never had fish before in my life and just got a Betta as a gift.

He is currently in something like a vase. After only a few minutes of reading I see that he needs a bigger place. He is in my office so I cannot really go very big. I am looking at this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3611436

Is that an acceptable tank?

I have read that sometimes a water filter can be too strong for Bettas as they live in still to stagnant water. I have read conflicting things about yes use heaters.. no heaters aren’t necessary. What Do I need to consider if I go with a heater?
I also read that they need meat, some posts mentioned brine shrimp – is that the same as sea monkeys? And will they eat them if they are alive? Or do I go somewhere specific to get live betta food?

I am surprised at how attached I have gotten to this little guy, and I want him to be happy. I would like his environment to be comfortable and realistic as possible. What real plants would be best for a tank ? Be aware I am not a plant person either.

And lastly.. I do not have a pet store or fish store near by. What is a good reputable online store?
Items I will need will be: 1. conditioned grave 2. plants 3. food 4. tank accessories like filters and heaters.

Thank you for taking the time to read and if you can answer – I really appreciate it!
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 
KBoone

Welcome!

The size of the tank you posted is fine. The general rule is at-least 1.5 gallons. However, you really can't heat anything below 5. This is fin as long as you can maintain a room temperature into the mid 70s.

I do have one issue with that tank in that the filter that comes with it does not have an adjustable flow filter. The flow on the filter it comes with is often too strong for a Betta.

In lew of filters, I'm a big fan of live plants. These can create the same cycling process as a filter if you are using a smaller tank or bowl. The only catch is lighting.

Live Betta food is completely required. Mine have always been perfectly happy with Betta pellets. But, if you want to go all out. by all means do! And yes, brine shrimp and sea monkeys are the same, but sea monkeys are a different strain than the brine shrimp you'll want to feed your Betta!

Petco and Petsmart are great online sources. If you want to get really fancy though. . .http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/ you should also check-out their liveaquaria site as they are an excellent source for live plants.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #3 
Ajones108

I live in a dorm and I have my pretty little betta in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater :) Bettas have to live in temperatures between 78-82 degrees since they are tropical fish, so a small heater is necessary. I can link you to the heater I use. :)

They do need a mostly meat-based food. No food with wheat as the first ingredient is acceptable. I feed my betta freeze-dried bloodworms as a treat and I use Atison's Betta Food as a daily thing. Fast your betta once a week.

Make sure you don't use plastic plants because they can tear your betta's delicate fins. :)

This heater in 25 watt is perfect for a 2.5 gallon tank. I LOVE it! But they also have a 50 watt for 5 gallon tanks if you plan on getting that one.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

Last edited by Ajones108; 07-20-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #4 
KBoone

Ha! I meant live food is NOT completely required. Though some swear by it. I've never fed it to mine. I'm far to paranoid about contaminated food. Though finding a reputable supplier is a good solution. (I'm a bit of a germiphobe with my guys. ) Or you could always raise your own! I see plenty of folks that raise their own brine shrimp.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #5 
BunniesLair

Thank you so much! I feel so much better knowing the tank is ok.

So an issue I do need to be aware of, is the filter and flow. But (and correct me if I am wrong here) If I do go with live plants - I do not need a filter? I would like to go with plants, as I think that would be more pleasing to him.

And I looked thru the photos in the sticky - I believe Mr. T is a multi-colored Veil Tail. =D

Foodwise I currently have Betta flakes. But it is really hard for me to tell if I am over feeding or underfeeding. The pellets seem easier to gauge.

I appreciate the link to Foster! I will definitely check it out! Thank you for your help!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #6 
BunniesLair

Ajones - thank you for the bit about the heater! Mr. T is in my office and it gets cold in here in the summer (I am currently wearing a sweater and its 95 outside) and I freeze in the winter. This building isn't the best at keeping an even temp for humans much less fish, So I will definitely look into the 25 watt heater!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #7 
KBoone

Ideally, live plants AND a filter would be awesome! But if you can't do both (tank/bowl too small for a filter) plants are an alternative.

And yes, that is the exact reason I prefer pellets. MUCH easier to control how much they eat and sooo much easier to clean-up.

Glad I could help!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #8 
Ajones108

You're welcome! I was using a different heater by Hydor that was a heating pad-style heater and it wouldn't keep my water consistent. :( So I bought that heater, and I absolutely love it. It keeps my fish at a stable 80 degrees. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #9 
KBoone

Ohhh. LOL I'd looked all-over F&S for a smaller heater. Must have missed that one! I had found some 2.5 gallon all-glass tanks that I thought would be perfect for some new guys I have coming next week, but I had run-out of room in my "fishroom" (kitchen=warmest room in this house) and was starting to freak-out about where I was going to put a bunch of five-gallons if I couldn't find a smaller heater. O_O Problem solved! Thanks, Ajones.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #10 
Adastra

25 watt heaters have a 2 gallon minimum, iirc. Heaters with an adjustable temperature dial are the only ones I recommend because smaller cheaper models don't keep the temperature consistent, and if the ambient temperature of the room is too low, it won't heat the water enough.

As far as tank size go, bigger is better. 2.5G would be sufficient, but 5G would be more stable. Please research the Nitrogen Cycle and how to cycle a tank fishlessly before you put your fish in. Once the tank undergoes this cycle, maintenance will be much easier.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote