Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #11 
KBoone

Adastra, that was the problem I was having. Nothing adjustable and the every other one I found didn't have great reviews. I REALLY don't want cooked Bettas.

As far as the Nitrogen Cycle. Well versed. I've always used live plants in larger bowls with cultured gravel and have never had an issue introducing my fish fairly quickly. However, all this stuff with filters and heaters and on and on and on is making me incredibly nervous. O_O I'd very much like to keep it simple, but adding several new guys, it seemed that being able to do set-up with filters would make my life much simpler.

So, I guess my question is this. . . I've introduced plants and cultured gravel into my bowls several days before my fish in the past and have never had a problem with this process. How much is a filter going to effect all of this? The ony thing I would think is that the filter would need more time to build-up some of the beneficial bacteria so as to be able to replenish it in the water?

I've got a ten gallon I'm dividing for two CT I'm getting and I'll have a week and a half to cycle it. A bigger environment, more time. It's just these smaller ones with the filters that are throwing me.

Last edited by KBoone; 07-20-2010 at 12:49 PM.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #12 
Ajones108

When I move into my more permanent dorm for the fall I'm going to attempt to cycle my 2.5 gallon.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #13 
FloridaBettas239

The tank you posted is great for a betta, He will love you for ever...The filter power might be a problem, but most of the time they put a cheaper type filter in them kit's. You can just try it and find out. All my bettas have go used to the current and do fine after a week.

My little brother has a 1.5 filtered tank with a 5 gallon heater in it. Its not adjustable, it has a preset at 78. And his tank never get's higher or lower on the temp. You can get a heater if you like to keeo your house or office cold..

And as far as the meat yes they need meat. But they need tropical flake's, betta pellets and other thing's. Brine shrimp and blood worm's are just treat's and shouldn't be fed every day. I dont even like the betta pellets, I havent found one pack yet that didnt have the cheap source of vitiman and other stuff. I like to use a good tropical flake and every other day i feed brine shrimp and blood worm's.

You better watch out your going to get bit by the betta bug.... If you haven't already...lol
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #14 
Ajones108

I hear if the filter is too strong for the fish some people put a thin sponge over the filter intake and rubberband it there to keep the flow from being to strong for the fish :)
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #15 
Adastra

A filtered cycled tank is about the simplest thing you can have--after the one-time set up you're good to go. You are right that it will take some time for the filter to become established, but once it is, it is a lot more stable than just relying on a bit of gravel. You can use mature filter media from another tank to get it started and then use the fishless method to finish it. A fishless cycle puts less pressure on the fish and gives you a more stable bacterial colony, in my opinion, it's also a lot less of a pain in the rear since the fishless method only involves one water change and the fish-in method involves a lot of testing and changing and worrying about keeping the ammonia level juuuuust right.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #16 
BunniesLair

Ok.. I am admitting my ignorance here. I was with everyone until the talk about a cycled tank. I presumed, obviously erroneously, that cycled referred to the water being filtered through the filter; but then someone said mentioned 'attempting to try to cycle their tank' and 'mature filter material'. What am I missing?
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #17 
Ajones108

To "cycle a tank" is to establish a beneficial bacteria colony. Someone else can explain it better than I can and there's a whole process to it. But it's better for your fish in the long run, and its also good to cycle the tank WITHOUT the fish in it so you'll need maybe a gallon-sized bowl or something to keep him in while it cycles. :) I think a tank as big as 5 gallons people deem it necessary to cycle because it helps with the water changes.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

The nitrogen cycle is a process that happens in oxygenated/filtered tank were the ammonia produced by the fish is converted to nitrite and then the nitrite convert to nitrate.
IMO/E the cycling process can be safely done with the fish in the tank provided that the needed water changes are made.
Its all in how much time and money you want to invest.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #19 
BunniesLair

Hi OFL,

Ok I have read that I should change the water 1/3 out with 1/3 new distilled (having sat at room temp for a while beside the fish) once a week. I read that on another site. Is that accurate? Is distilled water at the grocery store alright?

And how long does it take to cycle a tank? and How do I know when it is cycled?

Thank you OFL and Ajones for your info!
BunniesLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:43 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to use distilled water-it lacks the needed minerals the fish need for good health, the tap water is usually fine as long as a dechlorinator is used.
Cycling can take 4-8 weeks
IMO- due to the number of needed water changes in 2.5g tank-cycling is a non-issue, if you have a filter on the tank it will cycle and if you make twice weekly water changes of 50% you should be able to keep the water quality at levels safe for the fish as long as you are not over feeding and you remove any uneaten food.

Filter media-needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off, you want the filter media to look dirty-this is good bacteria.

When you make the water changes you also need to clean the gravel at least once a week, you can do this by stirring it a bit to get the waste up in the water column and dip out with a cup or use of a siphon.

Turn the filter and heater off before any cleaning, leave the fish in the tank, use a plastic cup an dip out the water, make sure the replacement water is within a couple of degrees from new and old water and always use a dechlorinator with any water added to the fish.

Turn the filter and heater back on and within an hour or two the water should clear up.

Anytime the fish is acting odd-make a 50% water only change even if you just made one the day before.

If you plan on live plants-depending on the type and number as well as active growth-water changes could be decreased to once weekly 50%

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-21-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote