Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #11 
jackals

Ok just got home.. it has a little nightlight bulb.. the baby bulbs (just 1) - hopefully I will find a fluorescent one that fits in the socket.
jackals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #12 
PwnCho

I've found a really neat site that explains about the cycling process in setting up a new aquarium.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...cle/Page1.html

Basically:

-Add water, run everything to see if it works all right.

-Add de-chlorinator/de-chloraminator to the water (bottle will instruct on how much per gallon)

-Add 5 drops of pure (no surfactant) ammonia per gallon.

-Wait about 6 hours before testing the ammonia parts per million
(I used the API Freshwater Master Test kit, it was recommended to me by the nice people on these forums & it has about 800 uses).

-Try to keep ammonia level to 5ppm - add more ammonia if necessary or do a partial water change if levels are too high.

-Keep the filter running, the air is good for beneficial bacteria.

-Test every other day for ammonia & nitrite until nitrite reading is obtained, I've been told it takes about 1-4 weeks.

-Wait for nitrite to drop to zero, about 2-4 weeks.

-Check for nitrates.

-Add ammonia so you have 5 ppm & wait about a day. Then check your ammonia, nitrite & nitrate levels.

-There should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and about 10-20 nitrates.

-Do a 90% water change (clean water treated with de-chorinator/chloraminator).

-Add fish.

I've been reading that getting material from an already established tank will speed up the process, unfortunately for me I do not have material to borrow but that just means I have to be a little more patient.

This is my first time cycling too, good luck with yours! :3
PwnCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #13 
JKfish

Oh, make sure your filter is not too strong for your tank, sometimes they'll be too strong and will "blow" your betta around the tank.

http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm great site to learn how to cycle your tank :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #14 
jackals

Ok guys a few questions.

Just picked up some brine shrimp, a java fern, and a water conditioner and some more pebbles/stones...

Here are a few things... can I add water conditioner (I need 10ml of this for my 2 gallon tank) with the fish in there? And the stones as well?

I am going to rinse stones and the java fern off with hot water.. is that safe to rinse the java fern with hot water?

And I need a solution I have a regular nightlite bulb in there (the really small one) I want to add a fluorescent one but can't find one that small anyone know of a place?

Last edited by jackals; 07-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #15 
Adastra

It's best to pre-mix the water in another container before you put it in the tank. I use rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bins for this, they are only about $3 at walmart/target and make great hospital tanks as well. I mix the water and dechlorinator and let it sit for about 5 minutes--give it a vigorous stir to help outgas any nitrogen bubbles and then put the water in the tank.

I wouldn't put the java fern under hot water--I usually just run a wet paper towel over the leaves to get rid of any obvious snail eggs.

As for the fluorescent, you could try a hardware store. Until you can get one, though, I would leave the light off.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #16 
jackals

Hey Adastra -- I was thinking until the heater gets here.. would it be wise to leave the regular light bulb on the whole time? This way it will make the warmest it can, I don't have a thermometer yet cause I ordered it with the heater and the water testing kit.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #17 
Adastra

Just like other animals, bettas need a day/night cycle. Also, the light will heat the water unevenly.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #18 
jackals

Is there. Anything I can do to heat the tank till wat I ordered comes. ...from petco or petsmart?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #19 
JFal

The Tetra HT10 I believe is available from Walmart and Petco for about $15

Mine works great at keeping my 2.5 gal at a constant 78 degrees
JFal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #20 
Maryrox247

Welcome to the forum! Adastra has got it all covered but here is my advice. :)Well i would feed him pellets only most bettas don't really fancy flakes, even those marketed for bettas.You can also feed him freeze dried bloodworms once or twice a week as a treat! By the way, you can't cylce a tank under 5 gallons. As for changing the filter pad, since benificial bacteria grow in the filter pad i would only change the pad for that size tank once every couple months but rinse it out with cool water once every week or two. A cheap thermometer shouldn't be too hard to find at your local fish store. Just dont use those strip thermometers that you place on the outside of the tank they are often innacurate. The hydor mini heater is a great heater for 2-5 gallon tanks! Good luck with your new finned friend!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote