Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #1 
frogipoi

Thumbs up Another betta?

I am 10, almost 11, and I decided I want another betta for my B-day. Good, right? I am saving up money, $34 exact. I need to know ways to get more money and the cheapest but good supplies to get! So can you help me? I get $20 a week so soon I will have $54. Each sunday I get 20 dollars and my birth day is on the 29th of August. Do the math. Please help! :help: He he
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #2 
frogipoi

Please???
Old 07-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #3 
JKfish

(wow, you're a little younger than my lil sis!) Happy-not-quite-birthday!

Well, walmart has the tank kits (5 gallon for about thirty dollars, and 10 for about 40 dollars), which have the tank, hood, filter, and samples, all you'd need is a heater (a good one for a ten gallon tank would be around 30-35 dollars), and the gravel and decorations.

I'm pretty sure Pet Supplies "Plus" has good quality fish stuff for a bit less than petsmart and petco offer.

34 dollars obviously wouldn't be enough, but then again you're saving up. with 20 dollars a week, if you save up, you should have more than enough to get a good tank soon. Also, if it helps, you could as for fish stuff for your birthday XD.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #4 
frogipoi

I always get 20$ from my grandparents and sometimes from my mom so I will! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #5 
RandomFish

Are you limited to shopping at stores or would your parents/grandma let you order online using their credit/debit card if you give them the cash?

I'm asking because there are better deals online. For example, you can shell out $30 for a heater at a Petco or you could get a nice reliable Hydor Theo heater for $19 on Amazon.
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #6 
frogipoi

I can go online to shop! My mom is nice.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #7 
RandomFish

Awesome! Your mom is cool...my mom would've just said no and told me to study lol.

Jkfish already posted about where to get the cheapest deals on tanks. I hate to say it, but Walmart does sell things for the cheapest. You could also try Craigslist for a used tank but I bet you could get a new one for cheaper from Walmart.

Do you already have a water testing kit? You can get one at walmart.com for $17.64 with 97 cent shipping to your home, whereas you'd have to pay at least $25 to get one anywhere else. Here's a link:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=mas ter+test+kit

The only thing I wouldn't recommend getting from Walmart is the heater for your new betta, because it seems they only carry one kind of aquarium heater and it's preset. I got a 50w Hydor Theo adjustable heater for $12 (shipping included) by winning an ebay auction, so you might wanna consider bidding on ebay. You could also get a Hydor Theo on Amazon for about $19 with shipping included.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #8 
frogipoi

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732
Does this heater look good for my current tank?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #9 
JKfish

I agree with random fish about the heaters. Like he (she?) said, the heaters are not worth it.

Because I don't know how big your tank is, I don't know, but it is a good brand.

This is my heater for my 10 gallon tank. I use the 50 watt version. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754055

(if you're buying online, don't bother, it'll be easier to go the the Petsmart and buy it there, shipping will kill you, and isn't worth it.)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 
RandomFish

<~~~ is a "she"

Quote:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732
Does this heater look good for my current tank?
No, because it's only 10w (would not adequately heat up anything bigger than a 2.5-gallon) and it's preset. If you're going to go for a 5 gallon tank then a 25w heater is ideal.