Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #11 
kakashikage

Does that Walmart kit really come with florescent lighting?? If so, that is a truly awesome deal. A lot of the people seem to have trouble with the filter flow being too strong, have any of you who own one had that problem? I was considering buying one, but the filter flow seemed like a big issue and I thought it came with incandescent lights and I'd have to replace them, but if both those issues are false, I'm definitely buying one!
kakashikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I have a 2.5 minibow and I like mine very much. I switched out the bulb with a CFL and everything is great. I did get mine for $20 since it was an older model and no one wanted to buy the purple color.

You can get better deals but all in all its not a bad tank. I don't have problems with scratching because I use microfiber clothes to wipe it down with.

ETA.. I'm pretty sure the walmart kit IS NOT fluorescent which is one of the main reasons I haven't bought one. It comes with two incandescent bulbs.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #13 
Maryrox247

I have a minibow 1 it does not tend to scratch. I think that is awesome tank but a bit pricey.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #14 
frogipoi

Thanks!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #15 
BettaBuddi1221

That is way overpriced I am getting a 5 gallon at pets mart for 15 dollats
BettaBuddi1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #16 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
I know, but this : http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653 ,this has everything that does, but with better lights (the florescent kind) and that will be just as expensive as the 2.5 gallon one available at petsmart. The 5 gallon one you want to buy will probably be 35-45 dollar range, which is about as much as the 10 gallon kit Walmart sells.

I own that tank & it comes with an incandescent light. Just so you know.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #17 
Lion Mom

One more thing - I do baffle the filter by rubber banding an AquaClear sponge in front of the water return.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #18 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashikage View Post
Does that Walmart kit really come with florescent lighting?? If so, that is a truly awesome deal. A lot of the people seem to have trouble with the filter flow being too strong, have any of you who own one had that problem? I was considering buying one, but the filter flow seemed like a big issue and I thought it came with incandescent lights and I'd have to replace them, but if both those issues are false, I'm definitely buying one!
Actually mine came with incandescent... but they have great 10 watt flourecent bulbs at walmart where the airstones/bubblestones are. =]

I think the main reason it's a better value is it's bigger and made of glass. It's sturdy and doesn't scratch like acrylic (which is softer) tends to do. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #19 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
One more thing - I do baffle the filter by rubber banding an AquaClear sponge in front of the water return.
yep. you gotta baffle it. =/ I use a water bottle cut in half and cut pieces of a fluval u series sponge filter insert (the smallest available in the tiny yellow and black box) and putting it in the little intake cage at the bottom of the intake tube, and inside of the filter in front of the biological filter media.

This not only baffles my tank quite effectively, but also adds biological media where good bacteria can grow. I think there needed to be more bio-media in there anyway. =]

All of this would take about 10-15 minutes tops to set up if you already have the water bottle (I used aquafina, the texture of the middle is nice and it's sturdy), and if you bought the fluval sponge while in town.

The fluval sponge can only be found at a pet store though. but if you're gonna go silk or real plant shopping then you can pick it up when you do that. =] That's when I picked mine up actually! XD

for the cleaning just take a large bowl of dechlorinated water when you do your waterchanges and ring them out (while underwater) in there to get the gunk off! =]

Good luck Frogipoi! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #20 
JKfish

Oops, my mistake. I have the 10 gallon kit, and it had the florecent light, and when I opened up the 5 gallon kit a walmart to see it quickly, I was pretty sure it said it was fluorecent. ^_^;
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote