Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #1 
jriley

My Betta has a white patch on its side...

My beautiful red-orange Betta has suddenly developed a white patch on its side...not cottony, but hard-looking, like the scale itself suddenly went dead white. Some scales around it are slowly becoming discolored, and the whole area (about 1/8 of an inch across) is slightly bulgy. This has been going on for just a few days--and today, it seems to be accelerating. He's generally active, eats well, plays in the current from his water filter, and doesn't seem to have any other problems. He (and his water snail friend) live in a 3 gallon Marineland Eclipse 3 tank, with biofilter and the whole thing. I'm really nervous, because I can't find anything that quite explains what is going on with his side. Please help!
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #2 
Adastra

Odd, is the tank cycled and how often have you been changing the water? Do you know your water parameters? Is the tank heated?

A picture would also be quite helpful.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #3 
jriley

The tank is heated, and sits at about 80F most of the time. I changed about 75% of the water a few days ago. I use tap water with a conditioner. Generally, a water change of 25% about once a week has kept Fishy Man and Snaily quite comfortable. I did add 1 tsp of aquarium salt with this water change, as I'd been told it would be beneficial to both aquarium inhabitants. There is a full filtration system in place, including the biowheel thingie. I don't know the pH. He's been very happy in his tank since we got it, about 6 weeks ago. Sorry--I can't send a photo at this time--wish I could!

Last edited by jriley; 07-20-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 
Dead Sunlight

Yes a picture would be helpful, It sounds like marbling besides the fact that it buldges. OldFishLady will help, try pming her.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
jriley

This is my first try on this site, and I'm not the most technologically savvy human--how do you "pming" someone? Thanks for all help!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

pm means private message. Go to the person's profile page and it will have contact info there.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #7 
jriley

An update on my fish: in less than 12 hours, he's went from one white, hard scale to several--the patch is larger, and the bulge is larger, too. If it wasn't a fish, I'd day it looked like a fast-developing scab over a cut. But even that wouldn't explain the white coloration. He's still active, eating, moving well. Maybe not moving around quite a much as usual--but his "usual" was pretty darn hyperactive! Not scratching on anything. I added some extra conditioner this morning, and he got a minimal amount of salt (1 tsp per 3 gallons) when I changed the water 2 days ago, but I haven't done anything else yet. I would SO appreciate any help on this, because I've been scanning this site for HOURS, and have yet to find anyone's entry that quite matches what's going on with Fishy Man. Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #8 
jriley

Thanks for the help on the techie stuff. I THINK I got a message to OldFishLady.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Without a pic it is really hard to make a "best guess" at what is going on and even then it can be a challenge.

I would start by making some daily 50% water changes since he is otherwise acting his normal self and eating

Personally I would get the salt out or use it at a dosage of 1tsp/gal for no longer than 10 days.

If you want to try a salt treatment I would QT him and use aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with daily 100% water changes for 10 days.

Really need a clear pic of the area in question

Sorry I couldn't be of more help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #10 
Adastra

This is quite odd--usually when an area is infected it gets fuzzy and the scales fall off and if there are outward visual signs, the fish is usually extremely lethargic and refusing food. If you hadn't described the increased hardness of the scales, I would say that it might be a result of marbling--you might want to give this page a look, just in case it's close to what you're describing: http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1114 it likely isn't, but I feel the need to have it ruled out for sure.

If it isn't marbling, it seems like it might be some kind of odd tumor growth--if it were bacterial or parasitic the betta's behavior would likely be drastically affected by now.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta bumps, betta care, bettas