Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

i heard that betta don't need filter,they get sick easier . i have 5 bettas . each of them in 2.5 gal water . i change water approx every 10-12 days. i always leave portion their original water . i don't even know how much i leave i just try to get from the top before all dirt came from the bottom.
i have 5 bettas and about 9 of my co workers has 2-3 bettas and my friends

we had about 5 sick betta one with tail & fin rot;one with columnaris ;one was symptoms like yours it was about 13 mo ago we used medication which truly helped

we used ''Tetracycline'' mix together with ''Fungus eliminator'' By Jungle clears serious fungus and bacteria fast and we also ude salt all fished recovered. one of my fish last sept has symptoms look like ''columnaris'' i used the same meds . he recovered completely.

tetracycline and fungus eliminatror amazing mix

one time we brought fish from store it did't eat for 7 days we thought it will die decided to use mix of those meds fish still alive it was approx 4 mo ago

tetracycline u can buy in every patstore ,but Fungus eliminator the fish gay in the store ordered for me, not every store has it
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #22 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
i heard that betta don't need filter,they get sick easier . i have 5 bettas . each of them in 2.5 gal water . i change water approx every 10-12 days. i always leave portion their original water . i don't even know how much i leave i just try to get from the top before all dirt came from the bottom.
i have 5 bettas and about 9 of my co workers has 2-3 bettas and my friends

we had about 5 sick betta one with tail & fin rot;one with columnaris ;one was symptoms like yours it was about 13 mo ago we used medication which truly helped

we used ''Tetracycline'' mix together with ''Fungus eliminator'' By Jungle clears serious fungus and bacteria fast and we also ude salt all fished recovered. one of my fish last sept has symptoms look like ''columnaris'' i used the same meds . he recovered completely.

tetracycline and fungus eliminatror amazing mix

one time we brought fish from store it did't eat for 7 days we thought it will die decided to use mix of those meds fish still alive it was approx 4 mo ago

tetracycline u can buy in every patstore ,but Fungus eliminator the fish gay in the store ordered for me, not every store has it
With proper care most of these type of problems can be prevented, increase your water changes in the 2.5g unfiltered tanks to 50% once a week and 100% once a week.
IMO/E-you don't need filters with this species, however, they can make care much easier.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #23 
jriley

Well, now I've got another problem, and more questions. The dead white stuff fell off my fish, and there were scales underneath that are slowly returning to a normalish orange- red color. HOWEVER--my fish has been losing some of its color (especially on the side that was affected), and has been acting sluggish--he still swims and even flares on occasion (he used to be pretty hyperactive), but spends more time sleeping, and now is eating very little (refusing all but an occasional bloodworm or pellet)... he used to be such a piggy, we had to really watch how much he ate!

No clamping or breathing problems that I can see. While the mysterious "white patch" episode was going on, I added a bit of salt to his tank, and raised the temp to 85F for a couple of days. It seemed to help, but I know I'm not supposed to do that all the time. So, I gradually took the temp back down to 80, and have added no more salt as I do 10% water changes daily (with the filter and biowheel, isn't that okay?). But his condition seems to be slowly deteriorating.

So--what's going on? I'm getting worried. Remember--this is my first Betta so, despite my best efforts, I'm still pretty clueless. I'm afraid inaction will kill my fish--but I'm not sure what action to take at this point. Recommendations?
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #24 
frogipoi

I would check on some good sites and books if I were you then sit here. I think this could be serious. Check everything and the other threads here. It may help. I hope he gets better; another Update?
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #25 
Oldfishlady

I would increase those water changes, since he was acting better in the warmer water I would increase the water temp, start 50% every other day water changes or QT him and add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes daily for 7-10 days, if you have IAL or oak leaves I would steep some in warm water or add directly to the tank for the tannins.
Can you post a pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #26 
jriley

I wish I could post a pic, but don't have a digital camera of any sort in my home. I'll try some friends later today. I did a partial water change last night, added 1/2 tsp aquarium salt to the 3 gallon aquarium, and got the water temps up into the low 80s. This morning, his color is still off, but he is a bit more active. He is, however, a little bloated around the front--perhaps because he would ONLY nibble on the dehydrated bloodworms yesterday (he ate 2-3 larger pieces). Not his usual food--its usually more like a treat--but he won't eat regular food at all...he spits it out.

If I add the 1tsp aquarium salt/gallon--after moving my golden snail to another container--(with the 100% water changes daily) that OldFishLady recommended, will that shock my fish? I'm worried about what that amount of salt will do to him.

Last edited by jriley; 07-27-2010 at 03:20 PM.
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #27 
vaygirl

I'd try frozen bloodworms. They love them and it'll get his strength up if he's not interested in anything else. A few a day, give or take. I use tweezers to feed mine to my fishies.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #28 
Katniss

I am a new owner to a betta (about 6 weeks now) and he has the same white spot. Last week, I treated him with an antibiotic and still no change. He appears very active and inquisitive. Just wondering if this is marbling or the sign of something more serious.
Here is a photo of the spot taken when I first brought him home:
[/IMG]
Here is a photo taken today:
[/IMG]
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #29 
ANHEL123

wow this post so old. I couldn't believe what i wrote until i saw the date of the post.
You should make new post...

How big is your tank?
How much and how often you do water changes?
Is the white spot fuzzy cottony like?

Wait when other people to respond . But my advice watch make sure it not fuzzy,cottony like. Make sure his behavior don't change. Watch for other symptoms but don't treat him with antibiotics though anymore.

There is also natural way to treat which is less stressful for fish - aquarium salt. But i think for now watch him first.

I think it can be marbling..
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #30 
Katniss

The spot is not cottony at all. It is flat against his body. He alsoacts like a healthy fish. The tank is a 5 gallon, heated at 78degrees with live plants. The tank is not fully cycled so I check the levels 2x weekly. I do 25% water changes once or twice a week depending upon the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
Thank you for your advice about aquarium salts. I will read up on them. What will happen to my live plants though? Should I remove the plants?
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta bumps, betta care, bettas