Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #1 
mjbn

does anyone use this?

marineland activated carbon? Is it good&how often do you replace the carbon?
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #2 
JohnnyD44

carbon can serve a few different functions, why are you planning on using it?
JohnnyD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #3 
mjbn

as filter material to replace the old carbon inside the filter cartidge.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

Yeah i use it!!! I have a 110 aquaclear 3 stage.... foam, carbon then ceramic ring's. So instead of buying the replacement carbon cartridge i just bought the net bag pet stores sell it's 4inch x 12 inch... It fits perfect and now i just buy a huge thing of carbon.

It say on the container that carbon stops working after 30 days.. I let mine go longer some times... Then i take the bag out throw away the carbon and fill it back up. I think its like 9 dollars for the cartridge and its 11 for a big thing of marineland that will give me 3 almost 4 months worth.. I have used the API carbon also...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #5 
FloridaBettas239

Also I have a 20-40 aqua tech on my 10 gallon, and when you replace that cartridge your throwing away all your good bacteria thats stored in there kepping your tank clean.
So instead of replaceing the whole cartridge!! I just cut a little slot at the top and dumped all the old carbon out, and put new carbon in without getting rid of the good bacteria and putting stress on the fish. Plus its cheaper
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 
mjbn

yeah that's what I'm doing, but I'm wondering how often I have to switch off the old carbon. Like 3 months or what?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #7 
Adastra

Most generic carbon lasts about a month. I use Seachem Matrix Carbon because it's designed not to compact, it has a low ash content, doesn't leach a lot of phosphates or change pH. And it lasts longer than most carbon, 4-6 months according to Seachem. Due to how porous it is and it's larger surface area, apparently it can absorb a lot more than traditional carbon pebbles. It is true that Matrix is three times the price of most carbon, but keep in mind that it lasts three times as long and outperforms other types.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I don't use carbon, haven't in many, many years.....most of the carbon or activated charcoal in the filters are low quality and no longer active in 2-4 weeks more or less, it not harmful after it is used up IMO/E, however, I have read some reports that used up carbon can cause problems but have not found any scientific research to support those claims, just opinions.......

Carbon help keep the water clear, removes tannins, color, odors medication, some heavy metals...but so will a water change......

Its a personal choice, and I chose to keep my money in my pocket, however, I do keep activated charcoal on hand...just in case I need it.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #9 
FloridaBettas239

Fish lady is correct you do not need carbon, look at how many tank's are running on sponge filters. And do just fine the carbon just helps clear up the water & take any smell's out. Carbon only last for 30 days = 1 month, Unless you get what adastra has, I have never heard of it. but i havent done much research on carbon... I think it's over rated, I just change it every couple months not every month...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Count me as another non-carbon user! I use foam inserts in my power filters & have for YEARS without any problems.

Like others, I DO have some carbon/cartridges on hand for "just in case", but haven't used them.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote